n i n e

Adam's P.O.V

What shocked me the most is that I actually meant that last part. He might be my brother in blood, but not in life. I should've been beside him and help him through all of this. But how can I? Knowing that I will lose her makes me want to put him behind bars immediately. If it was an accident, I might have felt some empathy. But how the hell in the world could this be an accident? It requires physical and mental actions. And the fact Lucian showed no remorse toward her after that she took her own life, just like our mother did, tightens my stomach. No matter how many times I tried talking to him, he didn't even bother explaining anything; he just left it out in the open.

And now she's staring at me with those confused golden eyes.

"You don't mean that," she says. I sigh.

A beeping sound fills the room. We jerk our head in Spencer's direction as he takes out his phone from his pocket. His face falls. His eyes scans over the message several times.

"Who is it?" Lesley breaks the silence.

"It's Riley." He says.

She and I stare at each other directly, unsure of how to act. We both step closer and I cross my arms.

"What does it say?" I ask.

He exhales a deep breath and reads it out load. "I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye. I never intended to hurt you and for that I apologize. The police are searching for me so I had to run away. I left something valuable. In your third art drawer, you'll find a journal. It might answer some of your questions. Give it to Lesley and she will explain everything to you.

I wish I could see you again, but until then, be safe.

-R."

Spencer and I look at Lesley in confusion, as if she knows something. But she obviously doesn't because she seems more confused than we are.

Instead of standing here and debating on what to do, I head to the closet and grab my shoes.

"Where are you going?" Lesley asks me. I finish tying the laces and look up at her.

"To Spencer's apartment." I say and grab the keys from the counter. Before turning to leave, I say, "what are you waiting for? Let's go, Spencer."

Both seem to snap out of their gaze to my words. Spencer passes by me to wear his shoes.

"I'm coming with you," She demands.

"No," my voice comes out solid. "You're staying here. End of discussion." She opens her mouth to talk but I immediately interrupt her, "For once, just agree with me without debating." I sigh.

Her eyes lock into mine and I can tell from the way she bites down on her lip that she knows I'm worried. "Adam, I have to come with you," she weakly say.

"Please," I beg.

She pouts. I step closer and plant a kiss on her forehead. I can feel her tensing underneath me. So I take her into a hug, burying my nose in her neck. In that moment, all my worries seem to disappear. All I can focus on is the smell of floors and warmth. I tighten my hold on her, never wanting to let go. But I do let go.

"Come on," I tell Spencer, who's been waiting by the door for me. I can see from the corner of my eyes that he's offering her a weak smile. But I don't look at her, because one glance of her sad face will make me eat my words.

I open the door and take the stairs instead of the elevators, trying to increase my adrenaline. I need to focus and there's too many distractions storming in my mind now. I get in my car and he gets into his, as I follow behind to his apartment. Ten minutes later, We arrive. His house is closer than I remember. I get out of the car and slam the door shut and we make our way to his apartment.