t w e l v e

Songs for this chapter

Red- Daniel Merriweather
She is - The fray
***

A knock on the door jolts me awake. I groan and toss in bed, ignoring whoever is on the other side of the door. I reach out my arm beside me as my head is buried in the pillow. The door rings again. I rub my eyes and directly turn to see Adam. But he isn't there. A space of empty sheets fill his place. My face falls. Another heavy knock and I'm out of bed in seconds. I stomp to the door and jolt it open.

"We are going to the mall!" Megan cheers. I want to shut the door right to her face but instead I step back and let her in.

"Why are we going to the mall?" I scowl.

"Because we can and we will." She crosses her arms.

"And when did I agree on this?"

"You didn't." She simply says. I arch an eyebrow.

"We are having a girls day. It's been a while and I thought maybe we can change the mood of depression that we are in." She rolls her eyes.

I scowl. "I'm going to ignore that part."

"Ofcourse you will," she smiles. "Now go get dressed."

I roll my eyes this time. "Fine." Her victory smile stretches. I head to the bedroom and notice a white paper laying on the counter. I grab it instantly.

Good morning, beautiful. I hope you slept well, because I surely did. Sorry I had to leave early, but I'll talk to you when I'm done. I love you. -Adam

I sigh and open the drawer, placing the note in a box where I saved up everything he got for me. Except for the bracelet that is still clasped on my wrist. I shake my hand, letting the sound of it's jingles fill my ears. A grin stretches over my face. It feels like a while ago since we had no worries. I can't believe it's been already five months.

Megan knocks on the door. "Come on, come on."

"Be patient!" I yell over the door. Afterwards, I shower, get dressed and walk out to an impatient Megan scowling at me. But then that scowl fades to a smile as we take the subway to my house to retrieve my car. Since I can't drive, I let her be my chauffeur for a while. "That will be ten dollars an hour," she winks at me.

I pout. "Earl doesn't charge an hour. It just demands some good gas to burn that old engine of his."

"If this car breaks down, I'm going to burn more than the engine," she threatens.

"Watch it," I glare and she chuckles. Ten minutes later, we arrive to the mall. After trying on and buying some outfits from Forever 21. We head to the beauty salon.

"Ouch." I groan. "It's definitely less painful to pluck out your eyebrows by yourself." I tell Megan who seems to share the same pain as mine across my seat. "No pain, no gain." She tells me, sounding proud.

"I thought that was body builder's saying."

"Maybe. But now, it's beauty's saying as well."

"All done," the salon lady informs me and I sit straight up. "Thank you," I weakly smile at her. Megan finishes almost the same time as I do. 

"Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who's the fairest of them all?" Megan imitates as she stares at me, waiting for a reply.

"Definitely not your mom wearing her ducks printed bikini and chugging down a bottle of vodka while she sings Celine Dion at 4 a.m."

She scowls at me as if my words hurt her. "It happened once!"

"It might happen again. Charles doesn't seem like he's holding up any longer," I joke. Charles is her mom's boyfriend. They've been at it for two years now and he still didn't propose.