t w e n t y - t h r e e

Songs for this chapter:

Daughtry- It's Not Over
Hoobastank - The Reason
***

"I see you everywhere, in the stars, in the river; to me you're everything that exists; the reality of everything." - Virginia Woolf, Night and Day
***

Lesley's P.O.V

I pass South Hill sign on the side of the road and ten minutes later, I turn the car into a halt and park it. I peek through the front window and a tall glass building with Ernest and Ernie Publishing written in black stares back at me. I blink.

I let go of a breath, the pit of my stomach is filled with butterflies and my heart is in my throat. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous- anxious, maybe even scared.

This is my first day as an intern and I want to make the best of it. Adam offered to drive me but I turned him down, determine to do this by myself.

After yesterday night, I went up to the apartment to find Adam napping on the couch. I didn't bother him but instead felt a sign of relief until I could gather myself. When I finally told him, he was furious to the extreme that he was about to go to Lucian's. When I talked about family, he stiffened. And afterwards, he called his father and stayed about fifteen minutes on the phone with him. I didn't mind; it gave me time to calm myself down. I called the lawyer instead, and told him the exact words Lucian has told me. He reminded me again that he can't use my statement if I wasn't a witness. I felt a sudden uneasiness toward all of it. So, I cut him off and crawled in bed, letting Adam hold me.

I make my way through the building and cold air hit me from the AC, as it dries the hot weather outside. I search around and eye the secretary behind the desk.

"Hi," I say. She flashes a smile. "Can I help you?"

"Yeh. My name is Lesley Parker and I'm here for an internship."

She scribbles something down in her fancy notebook. "We've been expecting you. Walk down the hall, and take the elevator to the seventh floor. Mr. Hamilton will see you soon."

"Hamilton?" I ask, taking off guard. Please don't tell me who I'm thinking it is. "Yes. He'll be your boss."

Boss? Before I interject any longer, I thank her and make my way up. The elevator is crowded and when I exit, cubicles line up all around as chaos takes over.

"Welcome to Ernest and Ernie!" I turn to my left and Kyan is walking toward me. "When they told me that Lesley Parker will be under my charge, I couldn't believe it." He's wearing a suit, looking oddly attractive. My eyebrows strike up. "You work here?"

"As a matter of fact, I do." He smirks. "And I'll be your boss." I cross my arms as I follow him down the hall.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask, feeling betrayed.

"You never asked. And besides, you didn't mention it either."

I raise my chin higher and walk straighter. "You never asked."

He laughs. We near another hall of cubicles, but a bit quiter than the previous one. He stops to the third cubicle on the left and turns to face me.

"I'm getting my own cubicle?" My eyes widen. He looks at me as if I just said something stupid. "Yes. What do you think you would do? Run orders and fetch coffee?"

I nod. "Yeh. Mostly."

He chuckles. "Actually, I'll run scripts on you. You'll read and write some notes. If something isn't worthy of my time, don't hesitate to toss it in the trash."