Chapter Five

Desiree' POV

After promising Odell I'd call him once I got his letter I was excited to see what would be in it.

I went downstairs to check the mail and laid the bills on the kitchen counter before getting to Odell's letter.

I went over to the phone and dialed Odell's house number with his letter in my hand.

"Hello?" A woman's voice spoke into the phone.

"Hi Ms. Heather it's Desiree'."

"Oh hi honey! You wanna talk to Odell?"

"Yes please. He asked me to call him."

"Okay, just one second," there was a light movement, "Odell Dezzy's on the phone!"

A few seconds later I heard Odell through the phone, "Hey, did you open it yet?"

"No fool, I waited like I promised," I sucked my teeth before laughing.

"Okay, well hurry up and open it," I could hear his smile through the phone.

"Okay I am," I slid my finger across the top of the envelope and opened it. "I don't see anything."

"Unfold it."

I opened the letter and two other slips of paper fell to the floor. I looked down and there were two crisp $100 bills on my kitchen floor.

"Oh my god Odell! Where did you get all this money," I gasped.

"It's for your phone  Dezzy," I could still hear him cheesing. "I saved my money from cutting grass every now and then and I didn't know what I was saving for, and my mom is getting me a phone soon and I wanted you to get one too."

I felt tears coming up in my eyes. No one ever did anything this nice for me. Ever.

"Hello? Dezzy? Are you still there?"

I nodded like he could see me as I wiped my face, "Yeah, I'm here Dellie. Thank you so much," I smiled. "I don't know what I'll get you for Christmas now," I laughed.

"You're my best friend and I wanna be able to talk to you whenever, not just our letters. You ain't gotta get me nothin', you bein' my friend is enough."

"Love you Dell."

"Love you too Dez."

Odell and I always told each other we loved each other. It wasn't a 'in love' love it was a 'I'm always here for you ' I love you.

"Desiree' Elise Black! I know your ass is not on my fuckin' phone," my mother slammed the door as she entered the house.

"I gotta go," I whispered into the phone as I hid the letters and the money.

"Okay. Do like I told you, so she won't get you too bad, okay? Promise me," Odell spoke seriously in the phone.

"Yeah, promise. Bye Odell." I hung up the phone just as my mother walked into the kitchen.

'Do like I told you...'

Run, duck, swat.

"You think you so fucking slick, huh?! I gotcho' ass now, come here," she lunged for me.

Run, duck, swat.

My mother was such a sweet woman before my father died. That's when she became like... This. She'd gone from sweet and kind  to scary and hateful. The only person who knew about that was Odell.

He was my only hope for anything.

A/N: I'm just itching for them to meet I swear. Vote and comment for a real one 😂😂