Chapter six

Odell POV

"What's wrong baby boy?" My mom asked as I got off the phone with Dezzy.

"Nothin' ma, I'm just tired," I hugged her before going to my room.

Dezzy only told me about her mom about a year ago when there was a week that I didn't get a letter from her because she was so down that she didn't do anything. After that week was actually the first time we talked to each other on the phone. I just wish it would have been under better circumstances.

~

One year earlier

"Odell, get the phone for me!" My mother called from her room.

I got up from my bed and went to pick up the phone.

"Hello."

"Hi," it was a girl's soft voice, "Um I don't mean to bother you, but does a boy named Odell live there?"

"Dezzy?"

"Dell?"

"Oh my god Dezzy where have you been? Are you okay?" I was so excited that I finally got to talk to my best friend.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry I didn't write you back Dellie. It wasn't that I didn't want to, I was just really...sad."

"What made you so sad that you couldn't write me?"

She was quiet for a while before she let out a heavy sigh, "Dell?"

"Yeah, what's wrong?"

"You ever been so sad you didn't even wanna get out of bed, not even to... I don't know, hug your mom?"

"No, I've never been that sad Dez. What  hurt you that bad?"

"I don't know, it's my mom. She keeps blaming me for what happened. She's always telling me that it's my fault that my dad isn't... here and at first I tried to tell myself that she was just saying that but maybe it really is my fault-"

"It's not your fault. Don't ever let her make you think that it is. Is that all she says to you?"

The line was silent.

"Yeah, that's it," her voice was quiet.

"Desiree' are you lying?"

"No. That's all she says, but sometimes she hits me."

"Odell, are you still there?"

I didn't even realize I hadn't said anything.

"Well I'm sorry that I can't be there for you, cuz if I was you wouldn't have to worry about none of that. You could just be with me."

"Yeah," she sniffled over the line.

"Don't cry Dezzy, I'm here for you now, like I always am. You know that right?"

"Yeah, I'm still sorry though."

"Don't apologize either. You can always call me and I'll be here. I love you Dez."

"I know, thank you. I love you too Dellie," her voice was so cute, with her little accent. "I have to go before she gets back, but I'll call you whenever I can. Is that okay?"

"Of course that's okay," I smiled. "You feel okay to write me again soon," I asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I will."

"When she's comin' after you run, duck,  and swat okay?"

"I'll try."

"I'm for real Desiree'," I spoke seriously.

"Okay."

"You promise?"

"Yeah, I promise."

"Bye Dezzy."

"Bye Odell."

~
I looked up at my ceiling as I tossed a football in the air. Just thinking.

Thinking about why things had to be the way they were. Thinking about what Dezzy's mom was doing to her right now and how she was hurting her.  Thinking about how fake happy she would be in her letter I'd get tomorrow, acting like nothing happened.

I just wanted her here. That was my friend and I didn't want anything to happen to her. Ever.

A/N: Theyre gonna meet real soon I promise :-) please vote and comment