Queens Of The Past

Sarafina

Im laying down on a warm rock staring up at the peaceful morning sky. My tail move side to side just like a snake. Once I had close my eyes...

"Grandma?"

I open one eye and see my granddaughter Kiara standing in front of me.

"Yes, dear?"

"Can I ask you a question?" She asks.

I chuckle. "Of course. It can be anything, what is it? My ears are open!"

Kiara sits. "Can you tell me more about grandma Sarabi?"

The name Sarabi change my happy face to a very sad one. The thought of my best friend makes me miss her. Our long fun walks to the waterhole, us giving birth and watching our children marry one another are the best memories I often replay in my head over and over.

"What's more to know, little one?" I ask.

"You never told me about her Queen life. I'd like to know if that's alright? It's okay if you don't." Kiara says.

I made a heavy sigh trying to control my sadden emotions. I nod, "No. I'll tell you everything."

Kiara smiles and scoot closer to me with big curious eyes.

"Sarabi was the Pride Lands second best Queen. Your great grandmother Uru was the first best Queen. I'll tell you more about Uru later. Sarabi was a very determined Queen. But also loving, wise, and helpful to all the creatures. She made good smart decisions too."

"Mom told me grandma Sarabi was also leader of the hunting party too!"

I nod. "Yes, she was. She had excellent eye sight spotting prey in very far distant. Oh! Let's not forget her tough strength too."

"Awesome!" Kiara smiles.

"That's why it is important dear for you to become the next Queen. Your mother learned from Sarabi but not so much since she had passed away before you and Kion were born. That is why Rafiki is still helping her."

"Ooooh. But, being Queen is no fun though..."

I reach out my furry arm. "Come here."

Kiara stands up and walk slowly forward. I pull her close in a hug.

"Sometimes you have to grow, Kiara. It's good to laugh and have fun sometimes. But when you have an important job to do, you must be serious. I've never been a Queen before. How I know? Because I use to observe your grandmother Sarabi. Your going to always be busy. You have the whole kingdom in your paws. Your holding their future! Listen to the lessons your father give you. He may seem pushy, but he knows best. He's not just saying it to lecture you. He's saying it to prepare you."

Kiara look down thinking for a moment.

"Understand?" I ask her.

She somewhat nods. "Yeah."

She sounds a bit confused.

I hug her again then lick her cheek smiling. "As you grow older you'll understand what I mean. For now your still young. Go on and play!"

Kiara hug me back purring. "Thanks, grandma Saffy!"

I watch the little princess run off to the direction behind pride rock. Cool winds blow through my light fur as I look back up at the sky the sun still shining bright.

"She'll be another great Queen, just like you were Sarabi..." I say.

Leaves circle around my face with the wind. I close my eyes giggling.

"My time is soon short. Someday we'll meet..."