Freedom

Zawadi

"Mommy, mommy, mommy!!"

I open my eyes sleepily. "What? Huh??"

"The Queen wants you! She said come now." Said my son, Heru.

The Queen?

This early?

Ugh...

I never get my rest around here...

I stand up with a yawn and stretched out my body. "Where's your father and what are you doing up this early in the morning, Heru?"

"I heard dad leave. He went training with Nahabi."

"That explains. Stay here in the cave, I'll be back after meeting with the Queen."

Heru sat down and nod smiling. "Yes, mam!"

If your wondering, yes Ashur and I are together with a cub. Heru is our only child. He resembles everything of his father except his eye and fur color. He got those from me. Having a cub wasn't planned at all. I was forced by the Queen's rules. She wanted another heir fast after Ashur.

Being put up with Ashur was very rushed into. I had no feelings for him what's so ever! But as months went by, those feelings slowly changed to trust, love, and understanding. For some strange reason we've had the same past before. Maybe that's how we connected.

I found the Queen sitting underneath a large tree for shade. Although it's morning, the sun is still very warm.

"Sit darling." She said.

I sit in front of her and respectfully bow. "Good morning my Queen."

"Good morning, Zawadi. Ive been thinking about this long and hard."

"Thinking about what?"

She looks at me in the eyes. "Your freedom."

Freedom?

Is she being serious??

This has to be a joke!

"W-What?" I stutter.

The Queen comes closer and chuckle. She place a paw on my right shoulder. "Your freedom. I'm letting you go Zawadi. Your no longer a use to me. You've done your job and that was to breed me another male heir."

"So you kidnap me as a cub to grow, train, meet a male lion, and birth a cub for you? How come you couldn't do that on your own??"

"Weirdly as it sounds, I cannot give birth to any cubs. My body just won't work. When I first saw you I knew you'd be perfect. Your beautiful and very strong. Mansa had the intelligence. Obviously that didn't work out when he left. When Nahabi found Ashur we knew right then he was truly the one. Heru, you guys son will train soon too and take over after his father. We have to keep the pride going in strong power and numbers or the neighbor pride will take over."

I look over to the side. "Oh."

"Mhm."

"I can't believe your releasing me though. But...but that'll mean I have to leave my son behind."

The Queen nod. "Yes. Don't worry Zawadi, Heru will be fine. Ashur will do an excellent job raising him!"

I begin to worry. "But, Heru will need a mother figure for warmth and baths! Who'll do that for him? I know Ashur won't. It's not a male's job to do so. No my Queen, I will continue to stay."

"Zawadi, you only get one chance of freedom. You haven't seen the other side of this land in a long time. Go explore, start a new life or family. Go back to your birth pride. Just go!"

What to do?

I look down at the ground thinking long and hard.

Heru is going to be heart broken once he finds out I'm gone...

But I have to do what's right and that is my freedom...

I've been wanting out of this pride for a long time...

Now this is my chance...

"Make sure Ashur takes good care of my son. Tell them both I love them!"

"Your welcome."

With that I run off. I have no idea what lies ahead for me. I just hope and pray for the best.

Another new chapter of my life has just begun...