Blind Dates

Zawadi

It's been years now since Mansa has left the pride. No one really knows where he had gone to or care. But I still care. I think of him everyday. My best friend missing. What made him run away?

Yeah lions here are crazy including the Queen. But he had me here! I admit Mansa sometimes got on my nerves. I'm not always easily irritated though. What Mansa was great doing everyday was making me laugh and smile.

He made me forget about my family back home. My sister and my parents...

Most of the time I think of them too. How's Ama doing with her Queen lessons? Is she Queen now?? Is mother and father still alive?? Then I thought about Kibwe...

The one who help me stood up for myself and get back at Ama when we were cubs. Something about him made me feel funny inside. I could NEVER make perfect eye contact when I'm talking to him. I remember he offer to try to teach me how to swim too. Kibwe was a sweet friendly cub...

He taught me how to be brave and overcome my fears...

I wonder how's life there...

Does anyone miss me?

They probably think I'm dead...

If only I can just go back...

A tear roll down my cheek. I sniff wiping my nose with my paw.

I have no one to talk to now...

My best friend has been absent for so long...

Who knows if he's still alive...

The Queen is constantly searching for a male to marry me. She wants her dark reign to continue. Mansa in her eyes was perfect. He was very strong, intelligent  and could lead the pride if he wanted to. Now since he's gone, there's no one to match here.

The males the Queen does  find are not my kind of taste. To be honest I don't know what my taste is. Be with them, I feel obsoletely nothing inside. They're just...just...BORING!

"Zawadi!"

Here comes the Queen now...

I roll my eyes while standing myself up. "Yes, your highness?"

"I have another male for you to meet. We may have found the right one after all!" She says. "Don't mess this one up!"

Man, I'm tired of there's stinking blind dates!

"Alright. Where is he?"

"He's with Nahabi at the river. Come on, we have to get you ready!"

I raise a brow. "What's wrong with how I look now?"

The Queen starts leading the way to the pride's cave. She shook her head, "Mmh, it's not enough."

Well, excuse me then!

"All of this is unnecessary your highness. I love the way I look. If a guy can't accept how you look, then you don't change for him. Have you ever heard of being yourself?"

The Queen pause. She stare down at her paws the look over here shoulder at me. "No. Now come along Zawadi, we don't have all day to gossip!"

I sigh and follow slowly behind her.

Maybe the Queen could use a blind date herself...