Old Childhood Friend

Mansa (A.K.A. Mheetu)

Everyone in the pride is now awake. I got up with a long stretch and shook out my mane. I notice Simba, Kiara, and Kion are gone. It's just me, mother, and Nala still in the cave. The rest of the pride is probably outside behind Pride Rock.

"Good morning mother and sis!" I greet.

They greet back in unison. "Good morning, Mheetu!"

"I'm going to go get a drink of water. Be back in a few!"

They nod.

I walk out the cave down Pride Rock to the waterhole. Some animals are already there. They're either drinking or gossiping. The female antelope was alarmed seeing me come forward. Conversations were stopped as I lean my head down to lap up the cold water.

Once done, I turn around and left. They continued their talk. I laugh quietly.

Animals...

It's good to be back living in my old home. I remember the place being so dark, dry, and lifeless under Scar's ruling. Now things are new taken care of under Simba's paws. He's brought plenty of goodness. We now have extra food and water enough to go around. With Scar, we had nothing. The hyenas would eat up everything leaving us only scraps and bones.

A hard life that was...

I lay down on the soft grass soaking in the warm morning sun.

I wonder how life is now for Zawadi...

It's been YEARS since we've last seen and talked to each other...

She was my best friend...

I had to leave...

Life wasn't good there anymore for me...

We could of ran away together though...

Ugh, she probably hates me now!

She probably has a whole husband with cubs...

I wouldn't be surprised...

She was beautiful...

"Mheetu?"

A lioness with peach colored fur walks up. Her nose is umber and eyes the color of red wine. Haiba is her name. She was my only childhood friend during Scar's region. Her mother and my mother were good friends. Sadly Haiba's mother had died two years ago. Haiba's brother is the same age as my sister Nala. He had a huge crush on her I remember.

I wonder what happened to him...

"Hello, Haiba." I greet.

She joins laying beside me. "I was looking for you. You mother told me you'd be here so I came."

"Oh."

"What's wrong? You seem glum."

I look up at the sky. "Just thinking of the past. I wonder how my adult life would have turned out if I had stayed there."

Haiba laughed. "Probably miserable. Good thing you had sense enough and came back to the Pride Lands. We all missed you, Mheetu! Especially your sister. Nala wouldn't stop looking for you for years. But she soon gave up after becoming new Queen of the Pride Lands."

"I know. It's just...I can't stop thinking about my best friend. She was everything to me then. She taught me how to be a true lion. Not a strong, angry killer like how the Queen of that pride wanted me to be."

"May I ask...what was her name?"

"Zawadi."

Haiba looked over to the side. "Hmm, pretty..."

I continue looking up at the sky and smile. "She wasn't just pretty, she was beautiful. But it doesn't matter anymore. I'm sure Zawadi has her own family now. We all have to find a way to move on some how."

"It sounds like you must of really liked her, Mheetu."

"I did, Haiba. But that was in the past. I'm over it. Hopefully I'll find someone myself and start out my own family. I'm still young and have loads of time. Just watching how Simba and my sister love each other with my niece and nephew makes me realize how happy they are."

"Yeah. Simba and Nala go waaaaay back. The story on how they found each other in a jungle was nothing but love and fate. It was cute!" Haiba smiled.

I chuckle. "Yeah."

"Now they're the new King and Queen. Mufasa and Sarabi must be so proud of Simba like any parent would."

"Mhm."

"Soon it'll be your niece's turn to guide us all under her paws and who ever her mate will be."

I snort. "Just hope it isn't that Kovu kid. I don't trust him..."

Haiba nods. "No one in the pride does except Kiara. She accepts him. But hey, she's young so. We're older now and have higher expectations. Kiara will learn eventually."

"I hope so or I'll have a word with my sister privately."

"Protective uncle I see."

Haiba smirks, I laugh.

"No. I'm just making sure Nala is making the right decision. It's like she agreeing to everything Simba does or says."

"Well of course! That's her mate, Mheetu. Also he's the King. Everyone has to listen to King and his rules."

"I know, but still..."

Haiba stands up and smile. "Let the King and Queen do they're work. You relax.!"

I sigh. "I guess."

Haiba bumps her side against me, causing me to roll over. She laughs and run off.

"Hey, get back here!" I smirk.

I stand and chase after her through the fields.