Upendo

Mheetu

"Thanks, Mheetu!"

"Anything for a friend."

Haiba and I are now back home at Pride Rock. I help her walk all the way to the waterhole for a drink and then back. Haiba's left paw is still pretty swollen and painful. She tries not to put too much pressure on it while standing or walking.

"Think I'll just lay here and rest my paw for a while." She said, choosing a warm rock and lies down.

I nod. "Need anything just call. Okay?"

"Okay."

With that, I turn around and walk off to join the rest of the pride leaving Haiba some privacy.

I wonder what my sister is up to...

I search for Nala but couldn't find her. She wasn't with any of the lionesses.

Weird...

Maybe she's with Simba?

"Nala, Simba?" I call out. "Naaaalaaaa, Siiiiiimbaaaaa!!"

No response...

They probably went out on a special date or patrol around the Pride Lands together.

"Who's that?"

"I believe that is the Queen's brother."

"He's so handsome! Gosh, is everyone in that family have good genes?"

I walk pass two lionesses who are from Zira's pride.

"Good evening!" I nod.

They squeal. I shake my head chuckling.

Next Day...

I woke up with a stretch and walk straight out the cave to find Haiba. She was on my mind all night long. She did not sleep in the cave last night. Why? I really don't know. Maybe she didn't want to put any more pressure on her paw. I found Haiba laying down under a perfect shady tree.

"Good morning, Haiba!"

"Morning!"

I sat beside her. "How's the paw going?"

Haiba looks down at her paw. "Well, the swelling is finally going down. I leap myself to Rafiki's tree last night. He gave me a few things to help it feel better."

"Cool! How long will it take to work?"

"About a day or two. Nothing very major. Glad that I didn't break anything!"

I slightly chuckle. "Right, that would be terrible."

"Yeah. I bet the hunting party miss me on the team."

"They'll be so delighted once your back!"

Haiba smiles. "Mheetu?"

I met my greenish blue eyes with her red wine ones. "Yes, Haiba?"

"Remember the time when we were both little and your sister Nala and my big brother Atieno would baby sit us when our mothers went hunting one late evening?"

"Oh yeah! The four us had to stay hidden inside a small burrow until they returned. They wanted us to be safe away from Scar and the hyenas. Yeah, I remember."

"My brother hated to be kept away so he left to go play. Nala told him no over and over that it wasn't safe to leave the burrow just yet. But of course, Atieno being stubborn, he left anyways. Nala told us both to stay put that she will be back. She never did returned. Then I remember hearing a close by sound. Larger paws were walking. I thought it was our mothers. So I jump out the burrow and right there were three tall hyenas. They snickered asking why we were so alone without adult supervision. I growl telling them to back off. The female hyena picked me up by the scruff. I tried to wiggle myself down but her grip was tight. Then you Mheetu came out with an surprising attack. You had but one of her legs. She released me and then-"

"We both had made a run for it." I say, looking down feeling somewhat embarrassed. "I can't believe I did something like that. We both could've gotten killed that day!"

Haiba laughed. "You were just a cub, Mheetu. It's alright!"

"What happened after that?"

"Our mothers found us and fought them. Then they notice Nala and Atieno weren't with us. So Queen Sarabi, Simba's mother had created a search party. It took all night to finally find them. They were far away from Pride Rock lost. Man, my brother was in so much trouble. Our mother was so furious!"

"Wow."

"I told my mother how you saved my life. She was impressed by your bravery and thanked your mother. Yesterday Mheetu when you saved my life from those lionesses, it made me have a flashback when you saved me from that hyena. I was rescued twice! You are a really good guy!" She smiled.

I scratch the back of my head shyly and laugh. "Hey, it was nothing."

Haiba scoots closer to me and rest her head underneath my chin. "No one has never done that to me before. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here as we speak. Thank you!"

"Your welcome."

"I will never forget the day when your mother announced the whole pride that you had went missing. We all thought Scar or the hyenas got rid of you. The idea of my best friend being dead was just..."

Haiba sniffed. I look down and see tears rolling down her right cheek. I lick the top of  head, a sign of comfort and understanding.

"Haiba, it's okay. You don't have to explain anything else. What matters now is that I'm here. I will never leave you again or this pride. I'm staying!" I said, with seriousness in my tone.

Haiba nod her head. We stayed in that position for awhile. I look up at the morning sky deep in thought.

I have this weird feeling inside...

Not sadness...

But love...