Chapter 3- Midnight Calls

I kept it a habit to keep my ear trained on the phone. When Tony dropped me off back home he said he would call to check in and things like that.

I let out a yawn and shuffled my feet over to my bed and flopped on it and stared at the open door that lead to the kitchen.

Making sure I could hear the phone in case it rang I snuggled into my covers hugging my little nemo that my mom got me on my last birthday and closed my eyes.

Images passed by my head. A boy that looked older than my was there sitting on a bus with a weird guy with this cap and crutches. The bus broke down and then a sudden ringing was filled and I couldn't tell anything.

My eyes darting quickly at the intruding sound I groaned but then realized it was the phone and instantly woke up and moved to the kitchen quickly hoping Gabe was still out doing whatever he did at night.

Moving the chair quickly I hit my knee getting on top of it but ignored the sharp pain that went there before it started to dull and quickly answered the phone.

"Hello?" I asked trying to keep my hope out in case it was Tony and then stifled a yawn that overcame my body.

"Percy?" Tony's voice on the other line asked sounded awake and alert.

"Hi Tony!" I tried to chirp but I ended up yawning at the end.

"What time is it there?" Tony's concern voice asked on the other line.

Glancing at the clock rubbing my eyes as it blurred for a second because I was tired before it focused enough that my dyslexia didn't mix the numbers around.

Narrowing my eyes I decided to just say, "Around three." I said and looked at the clock.

Tony seemed taken aback, "Sorry to wake you bud." He said sincerely but I brushed it off with a wave of my hand that he couldn't see and then said, "It's fine. How's Malibu?"

"Quiet." he said and it was a bit sad.

"What time is it there?" I asked

"Just around midnight. Sorry to wake you bud forgot the Time Zone difference. "Tony apologized again.

"It's fine Tony." I said smiling and stifled a yawn. I was really tired but the image of when I was sleeping flashed in my mind and I was more alert not really wanting to go asleep again, "When are you going to be back?" I asked feeling a bit awkward but really wanted to know the answer.

"I have meetings all week so give or take six days possible seven. I'm going to be very busy so I don't know when I can call again." Tony said with an apologetic voice and I frowned and slumped where I was standing. That was a long time from now.

I didn't know what to say and after a few seconds said, "What type of business do you do?" I asked tilting my head even if he couldn't see it.

"Business." Tony said and I thought he frowned a bit but couldn't be sure.

"I know that." I said rolling my eyes, "but what type of business?"

"Government business. You know the stuff that I can't tell you about. That sort of business." Tony said amusement in his voice and I smiled.

"But I'm a big-boy!" I complained

"Sure you are." Tony said and I knew enough to know he was mocking me.

"I too am!" I shouted and then winced when I heard the front door slam and shakily said, "I-I should go Tony." swallowing the sudden lump in my throat.

"Hey bud?" Tony's voice came over the land much quieter than before.

"Yeah?" I asked scared as I started to hear the footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Want me to call Happy to come get you?" he asked his voice quiet and soft.

My heart was racing and my hands felt very sweaty because I knew what was coming. There was no way Gabe wasn't going to find my and I was scared so I whispered, "Yeah." and then hung up the phone and got off the chair my hands shaking the entire time.

WARNING ABUSE AHEAD!

The steps got louder and I scrambled back but hands caught me before I could do anything, "Why are you up punk? You're a baby and a baby should be in bed by now." Gabe said yanking my back and I fell onto the floor banging my knee and it hurt.

I lost my voice my eyes wide and scared as I smelled his stinky breath. Swallowing seemed hard as if there was something stuck in my throat.

"What cat got your tongue!" Gabe sneered and his leg started to move back and I had enough instant to curl in on myself as I felt the leg connect to my side and pain exploded there and I had to bit my lip from crying out.

"Speak when you are spoken to you ungrateful bastard." Gabe said and I felt another kick in my side and cried out.

"What was that?" Gabe asked deadly calm and I clamped my mouth shut and tried to move away from him and his stinky breath.

I felt his fingers in my hair and they tightened and pulled and I gasped as my head was sent back and he let go quick enough and I couldn't stop it when my head it the wall from when I was scooting back.

Most Abuse Is Over Safe To Read (For some reason Over wants to turn into Oven?)

Gabe continued to hassle and hurt me more. My side was now burning and it hurt to breath but I didn't want to let him know so I protected as much as I could.

That was until I heard the front door slam open and footsteps raced up the stairs. I didn't want to see who it was because Gabe was kicking me and about to again before the person who arrived seemed to pull Gabe away and throw him into the wall where his head hit it hard and he was then asleep but not like how mommy was.

I uncurled and looked to my savior to see it was Happy. I instantly launched myself to him seeking comfort and I felt hand in my hair and rubbing them gently as his other hand was on my back rubbing it as I clutched onto his jacket and buried my face into his shirt.

"It's okay Percy." happy said kindly and soft as my grip tightened. Happy didn't seem to mind that I was wrinkling his jacket and instead lifted me up.

I took a moment to peek down since it's been forever since I was lifted into the air my mom telling me I was to heavy for her and I would never ask Gabe to pick me up.

I leaned back toward to Happy as we went toward my room, "I want you to get some overnight things." he said softly and my grip tightened a bit and he comforted me by saying, "I'll be right here the whole time. I'm not leaving you okay. But I need you to let go and get some things." happy said soothingly.

I nodded slowly and released my grip a bit after a bit until finally my hands were by my side and I found a small bag that I could put my stuff in and grabbed my Nemo toy and held it into my chest as Happy helped get some of my clothes and small school book bag that was in the corner.

"Ready?" Happy asked nicely and quiet as he picked me up again as I held onto my Nemo again.

I nodded into his shoulder my eyes already wanting to go back to sleep, "Where're we going" I asked sleepily

"You're be staying with me until Tony comes back home." Happy said softly as I was slowly heading toward sleep.

I yawned and got comfy in Happy's arm and muttered, "I thought you were his bodyguard. Aren't you suppos' to be with 'im?" I asked my words cutting off one another as I was almost asleep.

I felt Happy shift a bit and he replied, "Normally he has other people for when he's out of the state." Happy said with amusement but I didn't hear too much of it as my mouth fell open and I was fast asleep my drool starting to come out of my mouth.