CHAPTER ONE

THE BEEPING OF an alarm woke up the girl, who was fast asleep

THE BEEPING OF an alarm woke up the girl, who was fast asleep. She shot up and her ocean blue eyes landed on the time. With a sigh, she let herself fall back on her mattress. She wanted to close her eyes again and continue sleeping, but she knew she couldn't. That day was an important day. That day was the beginning of the rest of her life, a new life. It was a fresh start and that was what her and her sister needed. The girl looked around the room – well, her room – and got a lump in her throat. She wanted to think happy thoughts, because she was back in her childhood home, the home where she grew up. However, she couldn't. The only thing she felt was sadness. In that moment, she thought that her older sister – only by one year – might be right about living here again.

Said sister, Meredith was her name, had some doubts about back into their old house. They had lived here, most of their life with their mother. Not that their mother was around much, most of the time it was just the two sisters. Meredith wanted to sell the house and get a new one, but the youngest had stopped her. She was of the opinion that if they sold the house, they would lose yet another part of their mother. Ellis Grey, a renowned general surgeon, had Alzheimer's – a common form of dementia. The only memories that Ellis could remember were the beginning times when she was still a surgeon, when the two sisters were little girls.

It was hard on them both, knowing that sometimes their mother wouldn't even recognize them. The youngest sister wanted to keep the house in their possession, because to her it then felt like a part of their mother still remembered them. Even though, Ellis had been a far better surgeon than she was ever a mother, she was still their mother and they didn't want to lose her. After taking a deep breath, Courtney – the youngest and last child – got up and looked for some clean clothes. After taking a shower, the girl got dressed and hurried downstairs.

She went into the kitchen, not noticing two sleeping people in the living room. Courtney grabbed an apple for breakfast and walked back to the living room. However, she quickly stopped walking when she noticed a naked man, only a blanket covering him, lying on the floor and her sister – probably, naked as well – sleeping on the couch. Courtney let out an annoyed sigh and neared her sister, accidentally kicking with her foot against the stranger. He woke up, seconds before Meredith – who was woken up by a tap on her shoulder. "Courtney?" She whispered, still half asleep. Her eyes widened when she noticed the situation. "Courtney!?"

"That's my name. You need to get changed, because we really need to leave. We can't be late to our first day." However, the stranger spoke up, making Courtney roll her blue eyes. She had sat down on the arm of the sofa, biting her apple. The man was introducing himself to Meredith, wondering if they were going to do it again. Courtney wasn't really interested in what he had to say or what his name was. It would be the last time she or Meredith saw him anyway, so why even bother?

When Meredith had run upstairs, he turned to the annoyed blonde biting her apple. Maybe, he could get to know Meredith a bit better by talking to her sister. "So, you're her sister, right? She told me a lot about you."