CHAPTER FORTY

"HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT GOING BACK TO THERAPY?" Meredith asked Courtney, while playing with the edges of the latter's pillow

"HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT GOING BACK TO THERAPY?" Meredith asked Courtney, while playing with the edges of the latter's pillow. That morning Meredith had woken up and decided that it was time for her to sit down with her sister. Their relationship had taken a turn and fights had occurred more and more. To fix that problem, the eldest had walked into the younger one's bedroom, waking her up and demanding that they have a little sister get-together. "I just don't want what happened in university, after he, well, you know what, to happen again. That time, you also thought you could do it alone and didn't talk to anyone. I want you to talk to someone about it. I don't care if it's me, Alex, Callie or whoever. If you don't comfortable talking to us, then please think about going to therapy. I'm not going to force you to go, but promise me to think about it?"

"Are you always going to bring that up? It's honestly in the past, Mer. It happened and I really want to leave that behind. If I promise to think about going to therapy, will you promise me to stop bringing that up as a bargaining chip?" Courtney said, straightening a small part of her duvet while avoiding Meredith's gaze. She didn't think that they would be getting into the dark stuff that early in the morning. "Now that you said it though; shouldn't you go as well? I mean you did almost die and there are many, many issues that you might want to talk about? So, why am I being the one that needs to go? You obviously need to go as well."

Meredith stayed silent, trying to come up with a good response. Cars were driving by, filling the silence. Doors went open and slammed shut again in their house. The water in the bathroom was running and something fell on the ground, making a duff sound. "Maybe. Maybe. All the unresolved daddy issues and intimacy issues can wait a bit more to be fixed, but your issues can't wait though. How long has it been since you had a good night sleep without waking up screaming or breaking out into a sweat? I don't want anything bad to happen to your health, Courtney."

"Meredith, I'm not going to die from having a few nightmares," Courtney chuckled, shaking her head. It had been a while since Meredith had been this protective and a little bit overbearing. The last time was after what had happened during university. After Meredith had heard, she had demanded that Courtney call her every day at a specific hour. If she was even a minute late, Meredith immediately called in worry. Months passed and eventually Meredith let it go, which meant that she didn't need to hear her sister's voice every single day to know that she was alright. "To make sure that you don't worry yourself to death about me, I'll promise to think about the whole therapy thing, okay? I'm not saying that I'm going, but I'll think about it?"

"Alright, that's fine with me, but you better go though," Meredith stared her down, hoping to get some kind of reaction. Courtney raised her eyebrow and motioned her sister to go back to her own room. "I'm not kidding, you know. I'm willing to drag you there."

"Um, thanks for letting me know? I'll keep that in mind while I think about it. I can still make my own decisions, right? Or do I need to ask you if I can go take a shower?" Meredith gave her a look. Another door opened in the house and was quickly slammed shut again. Footsteps were making a loud noise in the hallway. "Look, Mer, I love this whole you caring more thing which you're doing, but I'm 29 and I would like to think that I can decide things on my own."