CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

IT WAS CHRISTMAS, a day which seemed to hate Courtney Grey

IT WAS CHRISTMAS, a day which seemed to hate Courtney Grey. In her twenty-eight years on this planet, the girl had never had a Christmas filled with joy. Something or someone always seemed to screw it up. The last time that she had spent it with her whole family she couldn't remember and the ones that she could, were spent in loneliness with her older sister. Her mother had almost never spent it with them: when the woman had a chance to spent the holiday at the hospital, she took it and when she couldn't, she only ate dinner with them and then retreated into her bedroom.

The two sisters always made sure that the other one was having fun, but it wasn't the same without a parent there. They made a promise to each other that they would never abandon each other on Christmas and till this day they hadn't broken that promise. Courtney hoped that they would be able to keep it up until they day either one of them passed away.

She let out a sigh as she stared at the rain dropping from the skies. Seeing the weather, made her pity her sister, who was currently outside in the pouring rain walking their dog, Doc. Said dog had been adopted by Meredith and Izzie to make to latter feel better, after she had lost Emily Russell – one of the quints. Doing that together also mended what had broken between the two friends. Courtney still remembered what Izzie had said and done (and always will remember it), but she had decided to let it go. If Meredith had been able to do that, Courtney wanted to try as well.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door, which made her turn her head towards her bedroom door. She yelled for the person to come in and the door went open seconds later. George yawned and shot her a small smile: clearly he was still half asleep. "Oh, hey, George. What is it?"

"Do you where Meredith is? I was going to say hi, but she wasn't in her room."

"She's walking Doc, like she does almost every morning. Were you finally going to tell her how you feel?" Courtney teased him again, which made him look behind him to make sure that Meredith was nowhere near them. He was blushing, but an angry expression quickly replaced that.

"Courtney! Not again! I told you like a couple of weeks ago that I don't like you bringing up all the time. Just stop with it, okay? One day, she's gonna hear you or Izzie say that. That day can't happen in the near future, okay? Please? Courtney. Just listen this time, please?" George whisper-yelled at the youngest Grey, looking a bit upset.

"Sorry, George, it just slips out. I just can't help, 'cause I find it so adorable that you have a crush on my sister. I'm really sorry and I'll try to stop, but I can't make any promises though." George shot her a glare and scoffed. Courtney quickly followed him to the living room right when the front door opened, revealing a drenched Meredith and Doc. She shot her sister her a smile and together they went inside the living room. Courtney's eyes widened when she noticed the enormous Christmas tree, which Izzie was decorating.

"Looks like Santa threw up in here." George commented.

"Just ... go with it. We're being supportive." Meredith said, understanding that Izzie's coping method was obsessively decorating a tree.