CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

IT HAD BEEN EIGHT WEEKS. Eight weeks after a bomb had entered Seattle Grace Hospital in a patient's chest. Eight weeks since Courtney's spinal surgery at Mercy West Hospital. After Courtney had closed her eyes and lost consciousness due to the pain in her back, she had fallen limp into Alex and George's arms. Alex' loud cry of her name had caused chaos: everyone had started panicking and crowding around the blonde intern, which angered her best friend. He had yelled at the crowd, wanting some peace for the blonde, while George was trying to wake her up again. He, however, didn't have any luck and it became harder and harder to support her. Luckily, Chief Webber had already called for an ambulance, which would transport her to Mercy West Hospital.

Alex had quickly decided that he should be the one to ride along with the ambulance, since Meredith wasn't out of her state of shock yet. It had been quite the sight to see Courtney wheeled out on a gurney, passed out and barely hanging on. All the eyes in the hospital were glued on the blonde intern and no one could stop themselves from gossiping, like true Seattle Grace fashion. With Alex by her side, Courtney was taken to the hospital, where interns were already waiting for the upcoming ambulance. There, they came to the conclusion that she had a fracture-dislocation, after taking MRI's. Said injury occurred when a bone in the spine was broken and the ligaments were torn. These fractures were usually unstable and were often surgically repaired.

After everything was in order, Courtney was rushed into a lumbar spinal fusion. Being a little bit overprotective over his best friend, Alex wanted to watch the surgery to make sure that she was going to alright – he didn't trust those Mercy West people with their orange scrubs. However, that wasn't allowed, so he was sent to the waiting room – but not after threatening the doctors. "If Courtney dies, she won't be the only one", he had said.

During her surgery, Alex had called the other interns. They all arrived at Mercy West rather quickly. Meredith had went out of her state of shock, but upon hearing what had happened with her sister that feeling had been replaced with a feeling of worry. She was pacing back and forth in the waiting room, driving the others crazy. The whole time, nobody knew what to say, so they spent every single minute in silence. It was broken, when a very good looking intern walked up to the group and informed them about her condition. Courtney was going to be alright and was recovering in the post-anesthesia care unit. She would soon be moved to a hospital room, where they could then visit her.

After a couple of hours, Courtney was awake again and was faced with her friends and sister standing by her bedside. Meredith was holding her hand and never let go, until she had been forced to leave. Seeing Courtney so weak and groggy from the surgery was a weird sight for all of them and they couldn't help but be worried. "What if they screwed up? I wouldn't put it past these people here." Cristina had said. "I mean have you looked at their scrubs. Orange! What kind of disgusting color is that!"

Everyone had started talking at once: some agreeing with Cristina, others not. As they were arguing with each other, none of them seemed to notice that Courtney was in pain. All of the loud voices weren't really helping with her headache. "Guys, guys! Stop it!" She had yelled, making everyone look at her. "I'm sure that the surgeons here are just as good as at Seattle Grace or maybe even better. I feel fine and I'm not dying, okay? So, will you guys just be quiet? My head is hurting, so all of your yelling isn't helping."