CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"SO WHAT'S THE deal between you and Ashley? I have heard rumors that you're dating and then I heard a couple of people say that you're not?" Valerie asked when she sat down next to Courtney offering her a cup of coffee

"SO WHAT'S THE deal between you and Ashley? I have heard rumors that you're dating and then I heard a couple of people say that you're not?" Valerie asked when she sat down next to Courtney offering her a cup of coffee. The latter let out a sigh as she stared at the dark liquid. Her cold hands were being warmed up due to the mug being warm.

"After that first date, it all went really well. I felt happy, because I had the feeling that possibly someone might love someone as broken as me. We went on more dates and that feeling only grew when I was around him. One night after work, we were all in Joe's bar and I thought that maybe the time would come when he would ask me to be his girlfriend. I would've said yes, if I'm being honest. Then Aaron saw us and came up to us, just to talk. Out of nowhere, Ashley just snapped and showed this whole other side of him. In the beginning of the night, I had noticed it as well, but his fight with Aaron was the last drop," Courtney drank a bit of her coffee as Valerie listened intensely.

"I started wondering if he was really the person that I knew or if he was just pretending. Whenever we were together, he presented himself as prince charming, but is he really a prince charming or rather a wolf in sheep's clothing? So, when he asked that night if I wanted to be his girlfriend, I said no. I needed time to figure out if I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I still don't know yet." Courtney stopped talking and looked to Valerie for advice.

"First question: do you like him?"

Courtney opened her mouth to respond, but closed it again. She bit on her lip, before replying. "I think so. It's not like I love him already, but if we started dating, I think I would see myself falling for him if he's the man I think he is."

"Then why won't you try? If he does prove to be a complete asshole who has a horrible personality then you could always break up with him. But what if he is who you think he is, won't you regret never trying?"

"I know, but I'm afraid that it'll end just as bad as my last relationship. I don't want to date someone fake."

"Every relationship is unique, sweetie," Valerie got off the couch to grab something to eat. "Just give it some more time. I know that you'll make the right choice and making a wrong one, isn't the end of the world. Do you want some pie? Apparently, we still have pie in the fridge. It's chocolate."

"Yeah, sure," Courtney picked up a book from Valerie's coffee table. It was 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'. She opened the book and started to read a little bit of the first page, before Valerie arrived with their pie. Courtney had always loved reading, but she never really had time to read.

"My younger sister got it for me. Whenever she visits, she's always talking about it and it got me intrigued, so she bought me one for my birthday last September. You can borrow it if you want," Courtney looked at her with a look that wondered if she meant it. "You really can. I've already finished it, so go ahead. I heard that the movie for the fifth book is coming out soon, so maybe we can go together some time."