CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

COURTNEY WAS MAD

COURTNEY WAS MAD. There were multiple reasons for her frustration with everything and everyone. First, there was the fact that her older sister had tried to keep it a secret that their mother had been lucid and in the hospital. Meredith had gone on and on about how she had hid it because she cared about her, but Courtney couldn't believe that. If she cared about her like she said, then why would she try to take away her sister's chance at talking with their lucid mother in five years? It didn't make much sense to the blonde. The whole situation was a complete and utter mess, which gave the youngest Grey headaches by thinking about it. The two sisters hadn't exchanged a word, after the youngest had lashed out and had basically told her older sister to go fuck herself.

Luckily, for the both of them, Courtney had had to work a late night, which meant that she couldn't go home. They didn't need to see each other at home and tiptoe around each other, which was a relief for both of them. Meredith wanted to explain again and hope that her sister could forgive her, but after the reaction she got the first time she didn't want to try again in the near future. Courtney needed to cool down first and then Meredith would try again. Hopefully, she would have some success then. It all caused the eldest a lot of stress, which she couldn't handle at the moment. She was walking on a very thin line and kept losing her balance, before finding it again. Both sisters not knowing how much the other was suffering seemed to be a recurring event.

Then there was the fact that Courtney (and Cristina) had to stay behind at Seattle Grace, while the others were jumping into the fire. All the other interns and their resident got to go save lives at the disaster scene. She had found it unfair that they had been the ones that needed to stay behind. However, that feeling of unfairness went along with a mixed emotions. On one hand, staying behind meant that she could scrub into a couple of surgeries and prepare herself for the chaos to come. On the other hand though, going to the scene meant that she was pushed out of the rollercoaster and had to fend for herself. She would have been able to learn some valuable things. At the end of the day, she couldn't do anything about it and just had to deal with it, pushing her personal feelings aside.

Courtney sighed, while putting the yellow gown above her blue scrubs. They had been notified that the first ambulances with critical patients were on its way. Cristina joined her, grabbing a gown as well. The two interns helped each other in silence, preparing themselves for what was to come. A storm was coming, but nobody could really be ready for that, no matter how prepared they were. "I heard about your engagement. Congratulations." Courtney broke the silence, as she was tying up Cristina's gown.

Cristina let out a sigh, "Thanks."

"Is that what you tried to tell Meredith this morning? I'm not trying to intrude, just making conversation."

"I was. Can you wait to tell Meredith if you see her? I want to tell her myself."

"Yeah, sure, I understand. I wasn't going to spread it around the hospital, you know. Some things are best kept personal in the beginning, before everyone knows. Was it Burke that told everyone the news?"