CHAPTER TEN

"THIS ISN'T FUNNY!" Courtney whined as her date was laughing at the story she had just told about her childhood

"THIS ISN'T FUNNY!" Courtney whined as her date was laughing at the story she had just told about her childhood. "Is my pain enjoyable for you? It's not my fault that I was a clumsy child and fell from a pony, breaking my wrist in the meantime."

"Why did you ever want to get back on those beasts after that?"

"Excuse me? Horses are lovely creatures and everyone should love them. They let us sit on their backs and ride us around for god's sake. The only reason why they would attack or go crazy is because of us humans. So, don't you ever say the words 'beast' and 'horse' in the same sentence when I'm around or I'll literally break your bones." Ashley laughed and took a sip of his red wine, while Courtney ate some more of her pasta.

Ashley had brought her to a classy Italian restaurant that Courtney didn't even know existed. He knew one of the owners and had been able to ask for a reservation even though he was pretty late. He had led Courtney to their table with his hand on her back. During that moment, she started doubting if this date was the right idea. His touch brought no excitement or butterflies in her stomach. However, she thought back of her sister and how proud she had been when Courtney had told her. So, she took a deep breath and tried to enjoy herself.

The first part of their date was awkward. Nobody really knew what to say and they both moved their foot around in their plate. As more time passed luckily the two of them started opening up and laughing. They had shared childhood stories, talked about their work and their internship, they talked about lots of things. Courtney was quite surprised how good she able to talk to him. Suddenly, they were interrupted by Courtney's phone. It had started ringing, embarrassing the blonde woman.

"I'm so sorry, Ash. I thought I had turned it off." She took her phone out of her bag, quickly checking the caller I.D.: Meredith was calling her. She bit her lip, not knowing if she should ignore her sister or not. What if she needed her? "I'm so sorry, but I have to take this. It's kind of important." She left the table, going to somewhere private. Due to her standing with her back to her date, she wasn't able to see that he took out his phone and sent someone a message. "Hey, Mer. What's up? Is everything okay?"

"I'm so, so stupid." Meredith answered, slurring her words. She was clearly drunk, which made her younger sister worry. She hoped that she wasn't alone and that Derek or Cristina were with her. "He has a wife, Courtney. A wife!? How can he just lie to me like that? Can you believe that, Court? He never told me! I just can't believe it! I thought we had something special, but now I'm a dirty mistress. How could he lie to me, Court Court?" Meredith continued downing more shots as she talked to her sister, who quickly looked back at Ashly who shot her a smile. She mouthed the words I'm so sorry again, but he motioned that it was no big deal.

"What? Who has a wife? Please, don't tell me that we're talking about Derek or I'll lose my mind." Meredith didn't reply. She only cussed and downed more shots. "Mer, is someone with you? Do I need to come and get you?"