CHAPTER EIGHT

COURTNEY WAS EATING one of Izzie's cupcakes, listening to the latter asking herself what was missing

COURTNEY WAS EATING one of Izzie's cupcakes, listening to the latter asking herself what was missing. Izzie stood in the kitchen, staring a sink full of dirty dishes and cupcakes. For eight hours, she had been cooking cupcakes left and right, but still, something didn't taste right to her. To the other two, the cupcakes were gifts from heaven. The cooking blonde went with her hands through her hair, not knowing what she was doing wrong. "No, these are good. Martha Stewart would be proud." George replied with a mouthful of cupcakes, encouraging her to make even more.

"Yeah, look where it got her." She looked at the recipe once more. Courtney watched her friend with her chin resting on her hands. During the last couple of weeks, Courtney had been able to forgive her fellow blonde for what she had done. It had taken her a while, but eventually she realized that she couldn't stay mad forever. "There's something missing, some specific ingredient. Why can't I remember?"

"Look, just call her. Call your mother and ask." George suggested, while Courtney washed her hands, who were dirty due to all the chocolate. She nodded as she filled her glass with some orange juice.

"He's right, Iz. It's better to just call her and get it over with than to spend another eight hours cooking with a missing ingredient." Courtney added and sat down next to George on the bar stool again.

"I don't want to call my mother." Izzie refused and started cleaning up the counters. George and Courtney shared a look, before continuing to eat their breakfast. Then, Derek and Meredith entered the kitchen together, like they had done every morning for the last week. The neurosurgeon greeted the three roommates as he walked to grab some cereal and a bowl. George offered him one of Izzie's cupcakes, but he declined.

"Who doesn't want a cupcake?" Courtney wondered, looking at them again. "They're so delicious."

"Yeah, you're like a health nut, aren't ya? You eat muesli every morning." George stated, agreeing with Courtney, and sipped his glass of milk.

"No, I don't."

"Okay, the muesli thing, you do. The last seven days, at least." Izzie agreed with George as Courtney jumped off of the bar stool. With her empty glass in hand, she walked over to the sink and placed her glass down. Derek looked surprised and asked the others if he really had spent a whole week here. He didn't really believe them, when they told him he had.

"It is pretty weird. Don't you have a house to go home to or something? I know that Meredith loves having you over, but don't you think it's fair to return the favor?" Courtney wondered, while walking over towards the two. Meredith smiled at Derek first, before shooting her sister a smile as well. The youngest was happy that her sister was so happy and shiny for once in her life. The two had been through so much and Meredith deserved her moments of happiness. "Look, Derek, I know that I might not have been the most nicest person to you, but I'm willing to change that because of you dating my sister. However, if you break my sister's heart, I'll break your bones."