CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

"I SLEPT AT HOME YESTERDAY," Paisley Suen broke the silence between her and Courtney

"I SLEPT AT HOME YESTERDAY," Paisley Suen broke the silence between her and Courtney. The two interns were sitting on one of the beds in the on-call room where the youngest Grey had spent the night again. Paisley's delicate fingers were weaving through Courtney's blonde hair as she was braiding her hair. The former had never learned how to braid hair and the latter was willing to become her Guinea pig. Even though they only knew each other for maybe a month, they had a kind of friendship that seemed like they have known each other for years.

"It felt really weird as if I was sleeping in a stranger's house. All my stuff was there, but it didn't really feel like mine, do you understand what I mean? My sheets were still the same from before I left, but they just felt cold. Everything felt cold. Which is logical, since it's not like a couple of ghosts thought to put on the heating or something," Just like Courtney, Paisley had decided a little over a month ago, that going home hurt her more than it did good. She wrapped an elastic around the bottom part of Courtney's hair and viewed her work from afar. "Um, this doesn't look like yours normally do. I seem to be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what."

Courtney touched the back of her head. "You did pretty good! You only need to pull a bit tighter when you cross the sections over each other. Look, I'm not even going to redo it," She turned around so that she could face the brunette. "Why did you decide to go home? I thought that you said, well, it doesn't really matter. I'm glad that you're sleeping at home again."

"Well I figured that I should head back one day since I'm still paying the bills for it. Also, Gavin had enough time to clear out his stuff. Now I just have to start redecorating to make my home feel like home again and wash away all traces of him. I have to repaint everything and clean up, help. I don't know when I'm going to be able to do all of that. Maybe I shouldn't redecorate," Paisley sighed. "Okay, maybe I should. I want to start fresh. Since I can't exactly go house hunting again and pay way too much money for a basic need, I need to do this."

"No matter what you decide, I'll help you. We could start on that day off that's coming up."

"Oh that's a good idea! I wonder what sleeping in feels like. How will the world look like when it's not 5 am? Who knows, certainly not me," Paisley laughed. "I'm also planning on seeing my family that day. It's going to be so weird to see my dad and sisters in the flesh again. I think I'm getting used to only hearing their voice. It's been so long, wow. The last time that I saw them was New Year's I think."

"Are you going to Pittsburgh or are they coming to Seattle?"

"I convinced them to come down to Seattle. They're taking an early flight that day and I'm supposed to be picking them up at the airport. My dad is going to take a few days off of work and they're going to stay with me for a couple of days, so I hope that I don't have that many night shifts. They're really looking forward to it. Every time that I call, my dad has to mention at least twice that he can't wait to see my adorable face again."