CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

THE MOMENT HER alarm had gone off Courtney had been pulled out a very good dream

THE MOMENT HER alarm had gone off Courtney had been pulled out a very good dream. She had been sunbathing on Hawaii with some fruity cocktail in her hand, enjoying the warmth. She wasn't alone either: all of her closest friends and family were there as well. There was no drama; Meredith and George had made up and Izzie wasn't being annoying about Callie. It had been a nice holiday with no lives being risked and Courtney would do anything to go back to that dream. She had closed her eyes and had buried herself under blanket, hoping that she would fall back into the dream.

It hadn't worked.

Courtney was yawning and trying to keep her eyes open. It might not have been such a good idea to stay up late to read. Right before bed she had read a bit more of her book – her nightly routine. When she had been about to turn out the lights, she had gotten to the most thrilling part and she simply couldn't stop reading until she knew how it was going to unfold. (By accident, the girl had finished the book). After putting the book away, she had closed her eyes but couldn't fall asleep. She had spent the next couple of hours tossing and turning. It was safe to say that she did not have a good sleep and was maybe running on two/three hours of sleep. Coffee was going to be her best friend that day.

The sleep-deprived blonde was standing alone in the kitchen, her eyes focused on the coffee maker. Did it always take that long for the coffee to be poured in her world's best sister mug? Meredith had gifted her that mug for Christmas a couple of years ago. The two sisters had chosen to attend medical school at different universities, so they rarely saw each other. They did call each other once a week, sometimes more, to catch up. The holiday season had been nearing and they were talking about what they were going to do. Were they going to stay at their receptive schools or were they going to celebrate the holidays together?

After a couple weeks of fighting about what they were going to do, they decided to spend the holiday season together. Meredith drove down from Dartmouth to Boston, where the two girls had a house together – not that they were down there often though. (During the school year, Courtney would take her bike or the subway from Harvard to their quaint little house, most of the times she took the latter, and do some cleaning on the weekends.) It had been nice to spend some time together again and be able to hug each other again. Even though they had never said that they were going to exchange gifts, both girls had bought one for the other.

Meredith had bought her the mug, while Courtney had gotten her sister a frame with a picture of the two of them in it. It had been quite simple, but that didn't mean that it didn't have any significance. Meredith had shed a tear when she had seen the picture. To that day, Meredith still kept the frame of the two of them. It stood on her bedside table.

"Finally." Courtney muttered as her mug had finally filled. She wrapped her hands around it and cautiously moved over to the table. Relieved that she didn't spill any coffee, Courtney took a seat and opened the newspaper – which made her feel like she was an actual adult. Even though she was nearing her thirties, she didn't really realize that she was getting older. In her mind, she thought she was still around the age of twenty-five. She was reading an article about some politician being involved in a scandal, when she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.