CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

"HAS HE TALKED TO YOU?" Callie asked as she looked over at Courtney, who was munching on an apple

"HAS HE TALKED TO YOU?" Callie asked as she looked over at Courtney, who was munching on an apple. The ortho resident had gone to see how Harold O'Malley had been doing and had run into George, who had pretended that she didn't exist. His father had seen the cold behavior and had tried to get George to greet Callie, but he wouldn't listen. Ever since that George had told Callie that he knew about her night with Mark, he had avoided her like the pest. He refused to even look at her, but Callie wasn't the only one that got treated like that though.

"No. I don't think that he's planning to in the near future. I'm sure that if he could kill me, he most definitely would. He hates my guts. According to him, I betrayed him by not telling him earlier about you and Mark." Courtney said, remembering the last moment that she had talked with George. It had been one of those moments where she had been speechless. She didn't know what she should say, because she felt like speaking would only make matters worse. However, it didn't matter if she said something or not, because there had been no way that the conversation would ever go in a positive direction. It was either worse or even worse.

No in-between.

Courtney had just finished a shift and had been on her way out, when George passed her by. (She had figured out a way to not create suspicion about her basically living at the hospital. Every day she pretended to leave the hospital, but then snuck in again.) At first, George wasn't going to say anything, but once he saw her smiling at something on her phone, he decided that she needed to know how much pain she had caused him. If she would've told him, everything would have turned out differently, he thought. To make it even more painful for him, the blonde girl had been wearing her favorite beige trench coat, which he had seen hanging on a chair in Callie's hotel room that one time. George had stopped in his tracks and had called out Courtney's name, which had made the girl turn around to look at him.

In the pit of her stomach, she had felt that something bad was going to happen. Something about that look on George's face had seen off to her. He didn't look like he normally did. There was this darkness that she sensed. She had shrugged it off as him being worried about his father, since she didn't know then that he knew that she knew. "You knew, didn't you?" George had said, his arms limply hanging beside his body. Courtney had been confused at first, not knowing what he was talking about. What was she supposed to know? Once he saw the confused look on her face, he had gotten even more upset. He thought that she was playing him, pretending to be clueless.

He had started talking about how childish it was for her to pretend to not know. He thought that she was better than that. Maybe she was not the person that he knew. He couldn't believe that she had changed that much since they started out as interns more than a half of a year ago. The moment that she figured out what he was vaguely talking about, rain had started pouring down from the sky. George didn't really care about the weather condition as he simply went on to express his hurt feelings. He was seriously doubting if Courtney had ever been his friend or had she simply been pretending as well? That little sentence had hurt the blonde, but that wasn't visible on her face. She couldn't believe that George would stoop that low. People passed them by as they watched the two interns fighting for the first time in their friendship – the fighting was mostly one-sided though, since Courtney did not but listen and bite the inside of her cheek to stop herself from butting in.