CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

COURTNEY WAS STANDING IN HER KITCHEN, with a drink in her hand

COURTNEY WAS STANDING IN HER KITCHEN, with a drink in her hand. Cristina's wedding was the next day, so her bridesmaids had decided to throw her a little bachelorette party at the Greys' house. It was very lowkey, which was the way that Cristina preferred it. Said girl was sitting at the table, complaining about the fact that she had to make up vows, which she hadn't done yet. She found it a silly concept, which then again made Izzie argue with her. "Well, what am I supposed to say? I swear to love and cherish you every moment of every day of my life? I mean, that's not real. I mean, that's not how it works, right?"

Meredith and Callie knew what she meant. In the beginning, everything was rainbows and sunshine, but after a while that fase passed. Love — at least really passionate love from in the beginning — wasn't something that was always going to be there. That feeling needed to be refreshed daily and every day it was a choice that you make. Do I still love this person or not? Some people get tired of doing that, so they stop. Love was complicated and wouldn't get any easier, definitely when you get older. Izzie was the only one in the room that looked at love with rose coloured glasses.

"No, it doesn't. You guys are just used to it. That's all. You already have it. You have that thing everybody else wants. You can take it for granted. But let me tell you, if you didn't, if you couldn't be with the person that you love, I guarantee that hearing him promise to love you and honor you and cherish you, no matter what, it would be pretty much all you could think about!" She raised her voice, angry.

Everyone in the room shared a look, shocked by her sudden outburst. Callie was looking at Izzie with squinted eyes, suspicious. Courtney couldn't help but feel the same way. The way that Izzie had gotten so heated as she spoke didn't seem right. Something was off, but Courtney couldn't tell what. While Cristina asked Izzie to repeat her little rant to use it as part of her vows, Meredith quickly asked if she had been talking about Denny. Little did they know that it wasn't about Denny at all. Not in the slightest.

"Okay then, now that we got that out of the way. Why won't we go play some games?" Courtney said, clapping her hands together. She stopped the situation from getting any more awkward. The sound of the clap wasn't that loud and dramatic as she had hoped, since the bandage on her hand muffled most of the sound. The others nodded and moved to the living room to take place on the couch or the ground, whatever suited them. They were all quite surprised by how much fun they had. It was remarkable, actually. For once in a long time, they all forgot about the fact that they were surgeons. They forgot all the drama surrounding them. They were just five women, having fun and celebrating their friend's upcoming marriage.

For once, they were just regular women, who didn't have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They were just a group of friends making wedding decorations out of toilet paper. Meredith was even wearing a paper dress, while Izzie was making yet another headpiece. Callie was helping Cristina and writing her vows on her hand to make sure that she knew what to say when the moment finally arrived. Courtney was sitting on the carpet, laughing at her sister, while mindlessly rubbing over her bandaged hand.