CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

IF YOU HAD ASKED Courtney at the beginning of her internship, if she ever would have stood in front of the Chief for doing something illegal, she would have told you that you were insane

IF YOU HAD ASKED Courtney at the beginning of her internship, if she ever would have stood in front of the Chief for doing something illegal, she would have told you that you were insane. She was a responsible girl that would never ever do something stupid that could jeopardize her future. She had a plan, a good plan. Her future was pretty clear when she started out as a young, inexperienced intern at Seattle Grace. She would do her internship there, pass her intern exam with flying colors. She would move on to residency, be the best residents that her interns would ever have and maybe ( possibly ) be Chief Resident. After those 4-5 years, she would finally be an attending. She would have made it! She would most likely do a fellowship to give her that extra edge of her fellow attendings. Her dream goal was to be the Chief of surgery. Could you imagine that? Courtney Grey being the Chief of surgery! Her life, career wise, was all planned out.

Her social life? Well, that wasn't as planned out. In that field, she had only hopes and dreams, things that might happen, but could also not. She hoped that by the time that she was an attending that she would have someone next to her that understood her and that was there for her no matter what. She hoped that have someone that loved her unconditionally. But she knew that those dreams could not come out, so she was also prepared to do all of that by herself. She still had Meredith to count on after all. It wasn't like she would all alone, right?

However, life was full of mysteries and surprises. Being pulled into the whole Denny drama was definitely a surprise. She had not planned for that to happen. She also hadn't planned to stand in front of the Chief in line with her fellow interns. She stood next to Alex, almost at the end of the line. Izzie, luckily, was standing for away from her ( not that Courtney was going to say that out loud of course. "I cut the LVAD wire." Izzie spoke up, after a long and awkward silence. Richard Webber had just been standing there, staring at them, waiting for one of them to crack.

They were stronger than that.

"Actually, I cut the LVAD wire." Meredith said as she looked at the Chief. Their little plan had gone into motion. Before walking in, they had all decided that they were not going to let Izzie take all the blame. Courtney, Alex and Cristina had been a bit hesitant. They were the ones that weren't totally on board and needed to be convinced. They were the ones that would actually turn Izzie in if they could.

The torch was then passed over to George, who went along like it was nothing. Courtney was dreading her moment to shine. Did it not physically hurt them to say that they had cut the wire? Were they not feeling the guilt that she was feeling? They did steal a heart and were basically getting away with it. "No. I did it. I'm the one who cut the wire."

It was Cristina's turn, but she didn't say anything. George nudged her and after giving him a glare, she spoke the dreadful words. "Fine. I cut the wire."

Oh god, it was Courtney's time to speak up and make sure that Izzie didn't lose her internship. Did she want to do that though? Courtney wouldn't be upset to see Izzie go. She did after all cut a patient's LVAD wire and stole a heart from another patient. She deceived UNOS. She fell in love with a patient. This was honestly such a mess and nobody could see the light at the end of the tunnel. "They didn't do it," This hurt her so much. "I was the one that the cut wire."