CHAPTER THIRTEEN

LOVE WAS IN the air that night at Joe's bar

LOVE WAS IN the air that night at Joe's bar. Glances were stolen and hearts were taken. Music was playing in the background, but Courtney didn't pay any attention to it as she was gazing into her boyfriend's eyes – if they were actually dating, she had no clue, since they hadn't spoken about it yet. The two of them were sitting at the bar, where Miranda Bailey was eating some nibbles, totally ignoring one of her interns. The owner himself was mixing drinks and placed a glass of Rosé wine in front of the blonde, who thanked him. Not far from the couple sat Izzie Stevens who was waiting for her drink and sneaking glances at Alex, who was across the room, throwing darts. He noticed her looking and smiled back at her. With a smile on her lips, she grabbed her drink and walked over to table where George and Meredith were sitting with their own drinks and snacks. "This is really nice." Courtney said to Ashley as she took of sip of her wine.

"What is?"

Courtney looked around the room, seeing her friends, who were winking at her, "Just this—" She let out as she looked down at their hands, entangled. "The two of us going out with my friends and sister. In moments like these, I can feel like a normal girl who doesn't have people's lives in her hands. And after everything that went down with my mother and Cristina's surgery, a night out with you is just what I needed."

"Yeah, why didn't you tell me about her?"

"She made us promise to not tell a single soul, so that's what Mer and I did. No matter how much I trust you, I would have never told you for as long as she lives. I can't betray my mother like that and I'm really sorry for that. Meredith and I thought that we had everything handled and that we could keep it quiet, but apparently not."

"Do you even know why she wanted to keep it quiet?"

"Have you met my mother?" Courtney let out a scoff. "If it had been possible, she would have kept her Alzheimer's from me and my sister."

"She seems like a, um, really headstrong woman."

"That's the understatement of the year." They both took a sip from their drinks. Courtney looked to the left to see her sister smiling brightly at her, but she could tell – even from a distance – that something was up. There was this certain look in her eyes. "But let's talk about something else than my mother. How's the new roommate?"

"He's alright I guess, but I barely see or talk to him. I am gone most of the day and when I get home at night, he's already out partying. I did notice, however, that he's quite the slob when I passed his bedroom the other day. It wouldn't surprise me if a rat lived in his dirty laundry." Ashley scoffed, looking annoyed.

"Maybe you just need to get to know him a little better? I'm sure he's not that bad."

"Yeah, right. I'm honestly not that far away from kicking him out for good. Did I tell you about his hair? Oh dear god, it's hideous! It's a curly mess and it looks like he stuck his hands in an outlet and those glasses he wears! Don't get me started on those!" Courtney's mouth fell open. She had known Ashely for a couple of months now, but she had never expected that he was that judgmental. When around her, he was always this charming guy who didn't have any faults. Well, looks like she found one now. She was about to say something to defend his roommate, when someone interrupted her.