CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

COURTNEY HAD NEVER BEEN SO NERVOUS

COURTNEY HAD NEVER BEEN SO NERVOUS. Her leg was constantly bouncing up and down, while she was biting on her lip. Her eyes kept glancing towards a white door, waiting anxiously for someone to come out of the exact door and call for her. Last night, the blonde hadn't slept that much. She hadn't been able to stop her mind from going haywire. She couldn't focus on anything but that next day. Her stomach had even hurt from the stress. She was actually going to therapy. A random stranger would be learning all of her dark secrets and thoughts. They would be knowing her better than she did herself. They would help her to feel better.

She wondered what she needed to say. With what did she need to start? Courtney knew that she didn't need to be anxious. Everything would turn out fine. It was just the start that was difficult. It was another change in her life that she had to get used to. Courtney knew that she would be glad that she had gone in the end. But that beginning though; starting something new would never be easy. A woman walked out and called a name with a soothing voice, which wasn't Courtney's. The latter's heart dropped.

Courtney played with the sleeve of her black sweater, while trying to calm herself down. Come on, it's going to be fine. This isn't scary. Besides, it wasn't as if this was her first time going. She could vaguely remember how things went when she had gone during university, but that had been years ago. Had things changed? A door opened, which stopped Courtney's overthinking. However, it was just the door of the waiting room. Another patient had entered. They smiled at the blonde as a way to say hello, before sitting down.

Courtney let out a deep sigh as she inspected her nails. "You okay?" Meredith asked, looking up from the magazine she was reading. On the car ride over to the therapist's office, she had noticed how quiet her sister had been. She had been biting her nails, which she normally never did. "It's going to be alright, you know. You don't need to worry."

The youngest Grey looked away from the door, "Yeah, that's easy for you to say. You don't need to go in there in 10 minutes and tell some stranger what is wrong with you. Is it too late to back out? I don't think I can do this after all. I'm not ready to do this, Mer."

Meredith put away the magazine. She grabbed her sister's hand and gave them a soft squeeze. "You are ready. Just try this one session out. If you feel that this might not be something you want to do right now, then we'll wait a bit and try again when you're ready. You'll never know until you try it, right? Isn't that what people always say?"

"I guess so."

"Trust me. It's going to be fine. Honestly, be glad that Izzie isn't with you. Can you imagine her trying to encourage you with your history?"

"Oh no, I would rather not. Thanks for coming with me by the way. I don't think that I would have managed alone. If I had been by myself, I would have been out of here already."

"It's not a problem. You're my sister and I do admit that I basically dragged you here. I was being a bit pushy, huh?"

"Self-knowledge is the beginning of all wisdom." Courtney smiled, her leg bouncing again. Meredith noticed it from the corner of her eye and placed her hand on her bouncy leg. She smiled at her sister, telling her that it was okay with the look in her eyes.