Chapter 80

I had originally planned to use a completely different song, but I just love this one so much. It always puts me in a good mood! 

I can't think of anything else to say, so enjoy!

*****************************************************************************************

Chapter 80

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I was sad to say goodbye to Adrian and Katie, but it was mainly bittersweet because I knew that it really wouldn’t be too long before I saw them again. I stood outside for a good ten minutes after the taxi pulled away from the curb and drove out the gates. Nick stood patiently beside me, waiting until I was ready to go back inside. Finally, when I could no longer pretend to see a glimpse of them in the distance, I turned with a sigh and a slight smile for Nick and headed back towards the apartment.

After a few steps, Nick let my hand drop as he fell back behind me. When the distance continued to grow, I finally came to a stop, whirling to face him. His eyes were hidden by dark glasses but the cheeky grin gave him away. My shorts suddenly seemed to feel twice as small and I self-consciously tugged at the end of my tank as I glanced around to make sure no one else was staring. We were alone. Nick’s grin widened and I was sure it was because my cheeks had taken on a definite reddish tint.

“Nothing I haven’t seen before, Sweetheart” he said breezily.

I only glared harder. “Yes, but we’re in public” I spoke through gritted teeth.

He just shrugged like he hadn’t a care in the world and I sighed once more, knowing that nothing I said would matter.

Chuckling, Nick strode to me, slinging a nonchalant arm around my shoulders. We began to walk again and it only took a step or two for me to relax into him. Really, there wasn’t much point in making a big deal about it, especially when I didn’t really mind. In truth, all I felt were the fluttering of butterflies in my stomach as he pulled me close. And that wasn’t really something to complain about, after all.

The apartment seemed chilly compared to the heat outside and I rubbed my arms in an attempt to warm up as Nick collapsed onto the couch, not bothering to remove his sunglasses. I didn’t move to sit next to, or on, him, feeling a strange restlessness, like the room was suddenly too small. I wanted to be outside – unusual enough as that was for me.

Even hidden by dark lenses, I could feel his eyes on me, watching me, waiting for me to speak. I knew he could pick up on how unsettled I was, but he probably just assumed it was connected with my brother leaving. I looked around the room as if searching for inspiration.

“I need to do something” I directed at Nick. “I can’t just sit around the apartment all day.”

“I thought we agreed we were going to lock ourselves inside once your brother left” he said mildly.

I stepped over to lean against the back of the couch. “How about we postpone that for a few hours? I need to be outside.”

Nick shrugged, reaching down to slip his phone from his pocket. “Fine by me, but be warned, you owe me.”

I didn’t need to see his eyes to know they sparkled with mischief.

“I’m sure something can be arranged” I said dryly.

I left him to text Mark and Jay and wandered into the kitchen to get a glass of ice-cold water, feeling suddenly parched. I wished I could text Nikki and ask her to join us for today, but she was still visiting her parents, and I doubted very much that she was ready to see Jay – or vice versa.