Chapter 67

Please listen to the song! (I love Joshua Radin <3)

Chapter 67

Shannon’s P.O.V:

The darkness overwhelmed me. It felt like I was drowning, and I couldn’t do anything about it, couldn’t do anything to stop it. The only other thing I knew was the sharp, insistent pain in my chest. Something had been ripped away, and I didn’t know if I could ever get it back.

But I knew that at the end, there would be peace. The peace of knowing that nothing can hurt you anymore, of knowing that there would be no more pain.

I flailed about in the all-encompassing blackness, desperately trying to find my bearings. Hard to do when you’re floating in a vast expanse of choking darkness, barely able to remember yourself.

Suddenly, twin beams of brilliant light lit up the night. I turned away from the blinding intensity, cringing. It brought everything back. It hurtled towards me, and I instantly began to long for the solitary nothingness of the dark to once again encapsulate me.

The light drew closer, and was preceded by a cold wind that battered me relentlessly, bringing with it emotions and memories that were best kept under lock and key. The raging storm of pain, despair, hopelessness, and fragility pounded at me and I felt tears leave cold tracks down my cheeks.

All I could do was cover my head with my arms, and hope that it would soon end.

To my surprise, the tempest just seemed to…stop. I stood up straight and let my hands fall slowly back to my sides.

Everywhere around me was filled with a bright light, but instead of blinding; it had a soft glow that warmed me instantly – starting as a light caress against my skin, and sinking inside until it permeated my very being - pushing back the darkness. I knew then that I was safe.

After that, I remembered nothing.

Nick’s P.O.V:

Shannon tossed and turned for most of the night. I lay awake until the early hours of the morning – too much was on my mind for me to fall asleep. I dozed a bit, but I was frequently woken by the sudden and terrifying feeling that I was falling. I hated that.

For once, sleeping next to Shannon didn’t relax me. Maybe it was the almost palpable unease that seemed to roll off her in waves. Her eyelids flickered as she dreamed, and I couldn’t stop myself from reaching out and gently smoothing a finger over her puckered brow. She shifted towards me, the corners of her mouth turned downwards. I gathered her close and pressed a kiss to her forehead, my sigh ruffling her hair.

It had been a long day. And one that I was definitely glad was over. The mood had been sombre, and it seemed to me that the very house was permeated with a sense of wrongness; a discordant note that had thoroughly shaken the very foundations of Shannon’s family.

It was only when the bright red numbers on the alarm clock finally made it to seven that I rolled out of the uncomfortably warm bed. It would seem like a perfectly respectable time to be getting up – well, to those who didn’t know me.