Chapter 74

Okay, BEFORE you read, please listen to the song. It actually has no real relevance to this chapter, but I thought it fit Ryan pretty well?

Also, I apologise in advance for any mistakes in the chapter.

Enjoy! :)

**********************************************************************************************************

Chapter 74

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I woke to the feel of someone’s hand gliding lightly up and down my back. At first all I felt was confusion, my brain struggling to wake up completely. Then with a wide yawn, I realised it must be Nick. I was lying on my stomach, my face turned away from him. His fingers trailed up my back and I fought the urge to shiver, and break out in a fit of giggles when he hit a ticklish spot.

“I know you’re awake.”

I smiled when he spoke, just hearing his voice making me giddy with happiness. I rolled over to face him with another yawn, still blinking the sleep from my eyes. Nick on the other hand was wide awake - uncommonly so, actually.

“Why are you up so early? What time is it?”

He half shrugged, his head pillowed on one arm. “It’s after nine. I was enjoying watching you sleep.”

“Creep” I said good naturedly, snuggling closer to him. The sheets moved as I did, exposing more than a little skin. Nick reached out, tracing the line of my collarbone, his expression one I could only describe as possessive.

“Most mornings I wake up first” he said, looking almost wistful as he snaked an arm around my waist, pulling me flush against him.

“Really?” I asked, more than a little confused by both his expression and his words as I tucked my head under his chin. This was news to me. I’d been under the impression that I was the early riser in our relationship. Though admittedly, I used the term early in only the loosest sense of the word.

I felt him smile as he pressed a kiss to my forehead. “Yeah, I usually fall back asleep, though.”

He paused for a moment. “I miss this; just being near you; being able to hold you.”

I slipped an arm around him, not having to say a word. I knew what he was referring to; the weeks after Ryan’s death when I’d pushed him – and everyone else – as far away as I could manage. That included sleeping in separate rooms. If I could take it all back, I would.

Sometimes I forgot though, that even before that, things between us were tense at best. Such a life-changing, tragic event as Ryan’s death really put things in perspective. I could no longer justify placing so much importance on petty squabbles…not that I’d ever been particularly dramatic; I preferred a calmer, more realistic approach to life. That being said, if a situation like the one with Natalie ever repeated itself, I’d probably react in much the same way. Some things just couldn’t be forgiven, or forgotten.

I sighed, pushing my thoughts aside. “I missed it, too.”

Even if I’d never admitted it to myself, I had missed him, missed this, terribly.

He kissed me again and I felt myself relax against him, my eyes falling shut once more, when he cleared his throat. I waited almost a full minute for him to speak.