Chapter 75

Chapter 75

Shannon’s P.O.V:

“Nick.” I gently shook his shoulder to wake him. “I’m going to class.” Silence. “…and then I’m heading over to Nikki’s, so I probably won’t see you until tomorrow…”

As far as I knew, he was working all night and would be gone before I got home. I waited for an answer, but there wasn’t one forthcoming. He grumpily pushed my hand from his shoulder and rolled away, shoving a pillow over his head. How sweet.

Quitting while I was still marginally ahead, I slipped quietly from the darkened room. Having had a quick weather-check out the kitchen window before breakfast, I’d felt confident in my outfit choice of shorts and a tee. Man, I loved hot weather.

However, it was still with some trepidation that I left the apartment, sunglasses ready in hand. The weather in this part of the world could be…temperamental.

Outside, the heat of the morning sun beat down on me, the sky a clear blue, and not a cloud in sight. My spirits were immediately lifted. In truth, I’d intentionally left earlier than was necessary. Abnormal behaviour for me, but it was time to finally bite the bullet and call my parents. I’d put it off for far too long until my guilt weighed heavily on me. I needed to clear my conscience. I needed to hear their voices, because along with my guilt, I missed them constantly. I’d never gone so long without any contact with them, and I didn’t like it. It felt unnatural.

I found an empty bench in a fairly secluded part of campus and sat down cross-legged, dropping my bag next to me. I twisted my hair up into a knot, ensuring the warmth of the sun hit the back of my neck. After what seemed like an excruciatingly long winter, I was in need of some vitamin D.

The phone didn’t ring for long. My parents had probably been up for hours already. Also, judging by the almost desperate tone in her voice when she answered, my mother had had the phone close – probably in her pocket.

My shoulders hunched, the guilt spreading unbearably. I hated that I’d caused my parents misery. They didn’t deserve it, especially not when they’d already been through so much.

“Hey mum” I said weakly.

“Shannon” she repeated, her relief almost palpable.

“How are you?” I asked lamely, unable to think of a better segue, even as I winced at the awkwardness of it.

I was almost glad when she completely ignored my useless question. I knew she wasn’t alright…how could she possibly be okay?

“We’ve been so worried. If it weren’t for Nick…”

I sighed, adjusting my position on the bench. “I know, and I’m sorry. I just couldn’t…” I trailed off, unable to put into words any viable reason for not keeping in touch.

She didn’t give out, she didn’t get angry like she had the right to, but she didn’t tell me it was okay, either.

“Please don’t pull away from us now, Shannon. We need each other more than ever.”

The lump in my throat returned, my eyes beginning to sting. “I know; I’m just not sure what to do. I feel like my life has been turned upside down.” I paused, hating the soft sounds emanating from the phone that indicated my mother was crying. “Everything just seems so wrong, like it’s a nightmare I just can’t wake from.”