When The Levee Breaks

Quinn's POV

"So there you have it. I would like it if you could talk some sense into Niklaus and get him to reveal where he's hiding our father's ash." Elijah asked of me.

I swallowed. "Um..."

Elijah look at me a bit dissatisfied. "Is there something you wish to object?"

"N-no. I- I actually don't want to see him today." I admit to him.

"Linda, I understand you this is the moment in your life where you encounter a rife in your relationship--" I look away sadly remembering yesterday's argument.

"You're afraid to face the reality that there is no future for you and my brother." He pointed out the horrible truth.

"You think so too." I say softly.

"It's not something that I think, it's something that I know." I feel a bit sadden after hearing that coming from Elijah.

"I know that's not something you want to hear, Linda. But it's the reality we face, there are some things that can't happen, like some old folk stories; humans and demon can never have a happy ending." He broke it to me.

He noticed I'm about to break down and place his hand on my shoulder. "It's better to face the reality you have than to live in a world of delusion. I assure you, Linda. you will be able to live your life to the fullest with the one you love most and with one who loves you whole-heartedly. It's just unfortunate that it's not Niklaus."

I force a smile and he leaves me to myself. Elijah's words may seem harsh but I can tell that he means well. Our relationship can only be described on a civilised level.

I breathe in to recompose myself before facing Nik again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I walk into Nik's art room to see him painting vigorously onto his abstract pieces of red, yellow and green. He doesn't notice my presence so I knock gently onto to the door.

He doesn't turn around. "...Is this a bad time for you?" I ask timidly.

"...Quinn, I didn't think you would want to see me for a while." He commented, but still doesn't turn back.

"...I didn't think I would either."

"Ah, yes. You're scared to touch on a certain topic that you're so eager to run away from." He said cynically.

I ignored his comment. "I'm here because--"

"Because Elijah asked you to come be my therapist, didn't he?" He cut me off. I stayed quiet because it was true.

Nik finally stopped painting and looked at me. "If that is what you came to do, you can leave." He said nonchalantly and returned back to his painting.

I look at him a bit hurt.

"I sense a hint of hostility in your tone. Did I do something wrong?" I asked him.

"Oh, I don't know. What you've done wrong, you should know yourself." He stated, still not looking at me. I frown before realising what he's getting at.

"You're upset because I helped Hayley run away with Hope." I say softly.

He turned back and smirked. Did Marcel tell him?

"Did Marcel tell you?" I avoid his gaze, feeling ashamed. "No."

I snap my head to him, confused. "You did." He smirked wider.

He tricked me.

He turned away from me. "I would have much appreciated it if you had sided with me and stopped Hayley or would have at least told me of her intentions!" He lectured me bitterly.