Chasing the Devil's Tail

Quinn's POV

I woke up too early, right now it's only 4 in the morning, and I can't fall back to sleep so I slid out of bed and walked over to the window.

The sun will be rising any time soon, it's been a while since I last enjoyed the sight of sunrise. Since I'm awake I might as well have my breakfast early.

After washing the dirty dishes I opened the small cabinet next to the microwave and grabbed my prescription medications my doctor assigned for me. She's put me on anti depressants and I've been on this medication for the past seven years of my life.

I've been taking it every day but it's not like I am addicted to it. I just can't get through the day if I don't. Okay maybe I am, but it would make sense if I am depressed. It took my brother three years to stop me from cutting myself.

I pull up my left sleeve to reveal the self inflicted scars, there are 7-9 visable scars that have faded yet can still be seen. I've shown my arms to Nik before but he doesn't know these I've done to myself.

For the past few months, ever since I've met Nik, he's been here to comfort me, reminding me that I am not alone. That I don't need to suffer alone because we are both the same. I was happy that there is someone I could relate to.

I was happy to see that we were both sharing about ourselves to each other, but I feel as though Nik's not totally being honest with me. I get the feeling that he doesn't want to share his problems with me, while all this time I've been sharing everything about myself to him.

He doesn't answer my questions straight, more like he avoids them. I feel as though he is hiding something from me which makes me want to get to know him more. I want to know the real Niklaus.

I shook the thought away and head back upstairs to my bedroom.

After taking a shower I get changed into some comfortable clothes and fished out the camera from my closet. Which I've stored away for five years, I examined it to see if it's still in good condition, battery checked and a quick dust cleaning.

I set out to the Quarter, it's during this hour that only a third of the people in this town is awake which makes things easier for me.

However the most devastating problem would be when I return, the city will be filled of people scattering about so I must return before seven, that's when most of the civilians have just woken.

I made my way to the woods when surprising I saw Nik in the distance, he seems to be in a hurry.

"Nik!" I called out startling him.

He turned back and was surprised to see me as well. I don't waste any time to run over to him, being careful not to trip over fallen branches.

"Hey, what are you doing out here?" I asked.

"I'm ah- looking for a special plant, it's uh.... marlock orchid, it's very rare." He told me. I nod my head being intrigued.

"What do you have there?" He pointed at my photography bag.

"Oh, I'm on a landscape hunt." I told him.

"Very bold of you to be running about at this hour." He raised his eyebrow, concerned because the woods are a dangerous place.

"I know but I can't help it if I find something beautiful besides it's not rush hour." I laughed and he mumbled something I couldn't hear.

"What was that?" I asked him tilting my head.

"I said; 'we are the same.' I can't help it but be attracted to things I find things beautiful." He said.

Hearing him say that I found myself gazing into his captivating eyes and no matter how many times I blink them, I couldn't tear them away from his eyes.