You're Still You

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2019!

***Psst there's an author's note at the end. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quinn's POV

Standing in front of my brother's house as I just got out of the taxi cab, the driver unload my luggage and drove off. I let out a long and shaky sigh feeling anxious to take the first step towards the front porch. Toby looked up at me tilting his head asking why I haven't moved yet.

After I left for the airport, Marcel had came after me with Toby in his cage. Before leaving, Nik asked him to give Toby to me. I had thought leave Hope with Toby so she would have company but I guess being the run, a pet would be inconvenient for them. So I took Toby home with me.

Steeling my resolve, I finally walked up to the front porch and knocked on the door. The person to greet me was my brother, Felix. His face grew into a big smile once he saw my face.

"Quinn! Hey, when did you get home? Come here." He didn't give me a chance to answer and pulled me into his embrace. "I just got back." I said over his shoulder and pulled away.

Toby jumped with joy after seeing a familiar face and barked happily. Felix noticed him and crouched down. "Hey buddy." He ruffled the dog's fury head then looked up at me again.

"Is he not with you?" Felix asked when he doesn't see Nik with me.

"No, it's uh-- it's just me. Nik had to stay in New Orleans..." I lied a little. Nik's actually on the run with Hayley and their daughter and I came back here.

Felix's smile disappeared after he noticed my sad expression. "Do you mind if I stayed here for a couple of days?" I asked him.

He knows to not pry on the matter and nod his head. "Yeah, sure. Come on in. Let me get that for you." He gestured for me to enter as he stepped out and offered to carry my luggage in.

At first I was hesitant because of the whole invitation thing but once I got my foot through the threshold, I wasn't scared anymore. "Alice, look who's here!" Felix yelled to get his wife's attention.

Seconds later, Alice came from the kitchen drying her hands with her apron. "Who is it, hon?" She stopped when she saw me and a smile drew on her face. "Hey, Alice." I smiled at her.

"Quinn! When did you get back?" She asked wrapping me in her embrace as well. "I just got back." I answered. Alice quickly pulled away as soon as she hugged me. "Oh! Someone feels different today." She commented giving me a strange look.

Toby barked to get her attention. "Oh, Toby! Sorry, I didn't see you."

"Quinn's going to stay with us for a few days." Felix told her. "That's fine. You can stay in the guest room." She said with a warm smile.

"Just go and sit in the living room. I'll make you a cup of tea." Alice offered and gestured for me to go ahead into the living room. "That'll be great, thanks." I said and made myself comfortable in the living room.

I sat on the couch while Felix sat in the single armchair waiting for Alice to come in with our drinks. I haven't seen my nephew around anywhere so I asked my brother his whereabouts. "Where's Aaron?"

"He's out with his friends at the park. He should be home soon." Felix checked the watch on his wrist. I nod and said nothing more.

"So, what's the problem this time? You and Klaus fighting again? Did he break up with you?" He looked at me sternly daring to hide nothing from him.

"No. No. Things just got complicated." I told him vaguely. "You mean more complicated?" Felix raised his brow.

"Quinn, you're relationship with him has always been complicated. He's immortal and your not, you guys are polar opposites of each other and yet somehow you guys manage to fall in love."