The Yule Ball

Note: Flora's dress and hairstyle without the bonnet! By the way, Rita Skeeter is the 'annoying' publicist and journalist of The Daily Prophet in Harry Potter!

"You said you loved the ocean, It's funny because you are just like the ocean. You came crashing into my life like I tidal wave, and yet I still think you are beautiful"
-Anonymous

"Good job guys! The real thing is in two days so remember to practice on your own before the next rehearsal!" Maggie Trudgeball cheered,  as everyone  from the music club left with their gear. "Don't leave just yet Flora," Maggie called out as she eyed the retreating figure.      

"Yes?" Flora asked.

"Do you have a date yet for the Yule Ball?" Maggie asked, twiddling her fingers as she remembered no one had asked her out yet.

"Hmm... not yet," Flora answered.

"Okay... well I need to ask a question," Maggie informed her. Flora furrowed her eyebrows thinking about Maggie asking her to go with her as friends. If Maggie considered knowing a person for two days as friends, then so be it. "Would it be alright if I for example... asked a guy out instead of the other way around?" Maggie confided, biting her lip. Flora laughed lightly and shook her head.

"Of course. Independency is attractive to  men. Break the rules," Flora smiled before turning around.

"Thanks for the advice. See you next practice!" Maggie yelled out after Flora before heading to her dorm room.

Flora walked up the astronomy tower stairs as she thought about The Yule Ball. She had no one to go with, but it didn't make her feel embarrassed. She hardly knew anyone anyway, so she wasn't that bothered. Her thoughts were squashed away when someone suddenly tugged her wrist behind the doorway. Flora squealed as she came tumbling forwards before glaring at who had done it.

'Tom, of course it was him' she sniggered to herself.         

"I need a date," Tom hastily spoke. Flora gave him a weirded out expression and took her hand from his. "For The Yule Ball," he added quickly. Flora stood there frowning at him, as her eyes held curiosity at the mysterious buy in front of her. "Okay good. I'll pick you up at 7:00," Tom finished before leaving, his black cape moving along with his fast strides as he descended the Astronomy stairs.  

Flora didn't eat dinner that night due to the task at hand. A wand sat in her right hand as a green robe sat on her bed. She had no money so she couldn't just go down to Hogsmeade and make a trip to a couple of stores like most students had done the day before. She chanted another enchantment and waved her wand with a 'poof' as the dress changed slightly. Flora sighed at the train wreck in front of her before waving her wand once again. She stayed up most of that night before stopping as girls filed into the dormitory, but that didn't stop her from doing it the next morning.

"He said yes by the way," Maggie spoke, before twisting the microphone into the stand.

"Who was it?" Flora smiled, eyeing the Prefects setting up the grand ball.

"Eduardo Krum. Can't you believe it? At first he kindly declined which was a bummer, but then he suddenly came up to me in the Library and asked me if I could reconsider his decline!" She happily smiled.

"That's great," Flora smirked, before eyeing the time on the Grand Clock. "Okay, I better go," she whispered before waving towards Maggie and the other prefects before leaving. She gave one last look to Tom who was currently speaking to Slughorn in the corner of the room about preparations, before shrugging and leaving.

Flora stood in front of the mirror and sighed. Her green embroidered dress that was recently charmed clung to her body. The dress was tight on the torso, leaving a little imagination of what was underneath. The lower part was detailed in gold intricate designs that flew freely from her waist. The infamous time turner rested on her neck which was accompanied by gold dangling earrings that Maggie had lended her. Her hair though was twisted slightly into an up-do that had needed a lot of bobby pins and a spell.

"You look pretty," Bellatrix Lestrange managed to supply as she leaned on the door way. Flora instantly turned around at the voice and gave an awkward smile.

"Thanks. You look pretty too," Flora smiled back. Her eyes drifting over her black attire that hugged her thin body as her thick black hair was sprawled over her shoulders.

"Thanks," Bellatrix muttered before walking down the stairs with a sad smile.

She was slightly distraught that Tom hadn't asked her, but deep inside Bellatrix knew that all she ever would be to Tom Riddle was a follower. A measly follower... Bellatrix's dark red lips slightly turned upwards as she descended the stairs to the entrance of the corridor to the Grand Ball. She found Tom with a slight smirk, a smirk in her direction. But, her smile soon faltered and she looked behind her to see Flora behind her.

Flora's gaze fell on Tom's and she slightly smiled. She descended the stairs and grabbed the hand he had offered.

"You are fashionably late," Tom smirked.

"By what? 5 minutes?" Flora scoffed towards Tom's direction before scanning over his appearance. His hair was in it's normal quiff, although she noticed his hair gleaming in the soft lighting. His tux suited his frame well as his signature black leather shoes accompanied his feet.

"Indeed," he concluded as he heard the music playing inside the Yule Ball.

With that, he lead Flora with a lingering smile as the Contestants spun with their partners into a formal dance. Tom let her spin out as she eyed everyone for a split second- they were fawning over the contestants... especially Tom Riddle. Tom pulled his hand back gently and Flora collided with his chest and she slightly glared at his action.

"They're looking at you, y'know," Flora absentmindedly whispered as the Professors joined the contestants whilst the music softly hummed in the background.  Tom lowered his lips to her ear as a soft genuine smile graced his features.

"Oh believe me. They're looking at you,"Tom hummed in her ear.

And at that moment, a young Rita Skeeter pressed her pointer finger on the camera. Snapping a picture of the future dark lord who had seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself... for once in his long life.