Chapter 2

(Rick Pov)

"Avery, can you check with Shawn to see if he is hungry? I was thinking about take-out of some sort," I say as I look up from the papers piled up in stacks all over our coffee table.

"Sure thing, Rick."

I look over to the beta sitting on my couch. "I don't know how Jim can do this shit. I mean, this is just too much. How much money a Pack member can have? What is Jim, a banker?" I said. As I go through the paperwork in front of me, Avery walks out of the room.

Jake just laughs his ass off. "Now you know how hard it is for us. As head warrior, your responsibility is to make sure our warriors are the best so that they can protect the Pack. You don't have to do paperwork as part of your normal responsibilities. God, Alpha Zack has more work then Jim and me put together. Sometimes, he is like a zombie after he finish his paperwork," Jake said.

"Yeah, and I will be right there with him if I have to do this for much longer," I said indicating the table in front of me.

"So, how is Mary doing with Shawn? She's the best in the Pack. If anyone can get through to him, it would be her," Jake said.

"Not very good. Shawn hasn't open up to her yet. He won't talk about what Annie did to him, or say anything about the men who raped him," I said.

"If Kate did that to Steven, I would have killed her for doing that to our pup. I don't care what her reasons for doing it were. I would have just killed her," Jake said.

"Lord help me; I wanted to, too. But, it would have come right back on the Pack. Killing humans is one of our biggest taboos," I said still remembing how I found them. Shawn handcuffed face down to a bed, naked, shaking in fear, and there was my wife telling the person she thought I was to "hurt him good". Annie telling me that she was doing this because he was in love with me. "I should have known what was going on in my own home. I should have seen the changes in Annie and in Shawn, too. But, between training the new warriors and our family's construction company getting that big project, I did not see any of it. I blame myself for not being here to protect him. I was bearly home. I just thought that Shawn had rough boyfriends and he was into that S&M stuff. That's what Annie had told me, anyways. But then I walked in on the horror that was the truth. How could I not be there to protect my pup? I just-," I whispered, dropping my face into my hands.

I lifted my head up when Avery walked back into the room. "Shawn said yes. I think we should order pizza. Specifically four chesse pizza, because that's Shawn's fav," Avery said.

For the past week Avery has been asking about how Shawn was doing, or how he was holding up. At first, I thought he was showing concern, as the future alpha, about Shawn. However, I think there might be more to it then that. I pray to the Moon Goddess that Avery is Shawn mate, because he is the only one I would trust to give Shawn to.

"Yeah, we haven't had pizza for a while," I said. I grab my cell off my desk and dial the Pizza Plaza.

"Hello! Thank you for calling Pizza Plaza. Lisa speaking. What can we make for you today," the young woman asks.

"Hello Lisa, I like to order four large four chesse pizzas, and an order of cheesy bread, too," I said.

"Great! Will this be pick up or delivery?" Lisa asked.

"Pick up," I said.

"Ok, and may I have a name for the pickup order, please," Lisa said.

"Dennis," I said.

"Alright, Mr. Dennis, that will be $25.50. We will have your order ready in about 30 minutes," Lisa said.

"Thank you," I say as I hang up the phone. "Okay, guys, we have about 25 minutes before we have to leave here to pick up the pizzas."