Chapter Eight: Your More Trouble Than Your Worth

I woke up to some sounds downstairs. I sat up and yawned, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I looked at my clock.

8:02 PM. I must have slept for a while. I stood up and left my room, heading downstairs to feed my hungry stomach.

I stopped in my tracks and hid behind a wall when I heard talking in the kitchen. It was my Dad and Sarah.

"Where is she now?", I heard my dad ask.

"Upstairs. I think she's sleeping", Sarah replied.

"Was she okay?", he asked. We're they talking about me?

"I hope so", Sarah sighed. I paused for a moment to make sure I heard that clearly. Sarah hopes I'm okay?

It's probably an act.

I walked into the kitchen, yawning to make it look like I had just come down.

They turned to me as I walked to the fridge. I pulled out a Monster and clicked the cap open.

They watched me as I leaned on the counter and took a sip. I looked between both of them.

"What?", I asked. My Dad cleared his throat and answered.

"Just talking. Are you hungry?", he asked. I shrugged.

"We can order in if you want", Sarah offered. I pressed my lips in a firm line and studied them.

"I'll just make something here", I said, hopping off the counter and opening the cupboards. I grabbed a box of cereal and put it in a bowl.

I love Lucky Charms.

"Alex", my Dad said. I set the milk down and turned to him. "We're going out tonight. Will you be fine here?", he asked.

"Yeah", I said and put the milk away. I chugged the rest of the monster and grabbed a spoon.

"Okay. Call if you need anything", he said and grabbed the keys. He kissed my forehead and they left.

I sighed once their car pulled away. I really just need to get things off my mind.

I took the bowl of cereal with me into the living room and set it down on the coffee table. I put in the 'American Idiot' CD by Green Day.

I sighed happily and put the volume up. I lifted my feet on the other side of the couch and grabbed the bowl.

I sat there for a while, just relaxing and eating cereal. Right now I wasn't worrying about the counselor or Sarah bugging me.

I wasn't worried about Tony being hurt by Chase. I wasn't worried about my grades.

I was in peace.

I let Green Day serenade me into a peacful sleep.

*-*-*-*-*

"Alex", a voice said. I groaned and shut my eyes tighter, snuggling into the soft cushion.

"Lex, wake up. You have school", my Dad's voice ordered. I muttered a string of curse words and ignored him.

"You asked for it", I heard. I was about to sit up and declare that I was awake, when I felt a splash of ice cold water on my face.

I jolted up with a gasp.

"Never gets old", my Dad laughed. I wiped the water from my face and glared at him.

"You did not", I said lowly. He laughed but when he saw the look on my face he snapped his mouth shut and rose his hands in surrender.