Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                I walked into class late like I always did. I slapped the late slip down on Mr. Welles’ desk. He gave me a daft look. I didn’t care. I sleepily walked over to my seat. I had to sit next to the nerdiest kid in school, Harry. Everyone except the chess team hated him. He had terrible fashion sense and was always scratching his neck. It was very annoying. Even though I never paid attention in class, the scratching sound took away from my texting.

                “Brianna?” Mr. Welles asked. I was still making my way over to my seat. I was walking slowly on purpose. “Please sit down.” He didn’t look very happy. As always, I didn’t care. I kept on moving at a snail’s pace.

                “Brianna Hudson!” Mr. Welles yelled. Everyone looked up from their math textbook and stared at me. I turned to look at him. His stare was boring into my soul. “Sit down now!” I plopped my backpack on the ground next to my desk. I sat in my seat. Mr. Welles faced the chalkboard and started writing down equations. I pulled my phone out of my black leather boots. I glanced a few times at Harry. Of course he was scratching his neck. I rolled my eyes and focused more on my phone.

                “How was school?” my mum asked when I got home. I threw my backpack in the corner where I always kept it. I don’t bother doing homework. I didn’t care about school. I took a pack of gum out of my pocket and popped a piece in my mouth.

                “Eh,” I said, opening the fridge. “Same as always.”

                “So you know how you have been struggling with math?” My mum stood behind me. I shut the fridge. I blew a bubble with my gum.

                “It’s every subject, mum,” I said. “And what? There’s no way anyone could save my math grade now. The semester is almost over.”

                “I got you a tutor. He’s coming over tonight around 6.” She went over to the couch in the living room. I followed her.

                “Tutor? He? What does he look like?” I was in the market for a boyfriend. My last relationship sucked.

                “I believe he’s about your age, 18. I don’t remember his name, but someone said he was really good at math, so I hired him. He’ll be coming over every day until the last day of school.”

                “The last day of school?! Mum! The math final is a week before the last day of school!” I stomped my feet.

                “Yes. I already know your grades are not good enough to graduate, so he’ll be helping you later.” She folded her hands on her lap. “I was told he was a very charming boy.”

                “Do you know what school he goes to?” I was pacing around the living room. I took a quick glance at the clock. It was 4:30. I had an hour and a half to look decent. What if the guy was hot?

                “I believe your school.” I started thinking of smart hot guys in my grade. I didn’t know any. I jogged up the stairs to take a shower.

                I looked at myself in the mirror. The towel was tightly wrapped around me. I studied my figure. I was skinny, but not too skinny. I studied my hair. I had side swept bangs. My hair was black, with purple on the fringe of my bangs. It was sopping wet right now, but after I blow dried it, it would be wavy. I despised my wavy hair. I preferred straight. Every day before school I straightened my hair. People always said I was going to damage it, but I didn’t care. I didn’t care about a lot of things. After I started getting bullied in elementary school, I learned to overcome the haters. I started refusing things, and therefore I didn’t care anymore.

                I went to my room and got dressed. I put on a pink ruffled tank top with a black blazer. I had on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, which accentuated my curves. I took one last look in the mirror. I had almost forgotten my makeup. I decided to go light on the eyeliner, so I only used it on the top lid. I put on a thin coat of mascara and no eye shadow. To school, I use very heavy pencil eyeliner on my top and bottom eyelids. I also used black eye shadow. It turned most guys off, but tonight—considering if the guy was hot—I would want to turn him on.

                I pranced down the stairs, feeling totally different than I usually do. I felt all excited, unlike regular school days. I hoped the guy was hot. I could really use a new boyfriend.

                At 6, the doorbell rang. I straightened out my clothes and walked over to the door. I opened it, and my jaw dropped. I just got all prettied up for Harry Styles.