Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                I walked into math on Monday, late as always. Mr. Welles didn’t bother saying anything. I walked over to my seat and plopped my bag on the floor.  I decided to at least try paying attention since I fired Harry as my tutor. I pulled out a piece of paper from my backpack and my textbook. The people around me were staring; obviously in shock I cared enough to take notes. I watched Mr. Welles write numbers on the chalk board. I had no idea what he was talking about. I gave up on notes and wadded the piece of notebook paper into a ball. I threw it on the floor. Harry glanced at me.

                “What?” I snapped, maybe a bit too loud. Mr. Welles turned around and glared at me.

                “Ms. Hudson,” he said, “is there something you would like to share with the class?” He crossed his arms.

                “Nope,” I said, putting my feet up on the desk. Instead of boots I was wearing bright green converse. I brushed my bangs out of my face.

                “Go to the principal’s office.”

                “What?” I was never sent to the principal’s before. I couldn’t believe Mr. Welles was making me go to the principal’s.

                “You heard me.” He gave me hard, cold stare. “Get out!” I scrambled to get all my things. I could feel everyone’s eyes boring into me. On the way out without looking back, I gave Mr. Welles the middle finger.

                I slowly made my way to the principal’s office. I stopped and looked at everything in the display case. I heard footsteps running down the hall, so I scurried away from the case. I quickly turned the corner and stood as still as possible against the wall.

                “Brianna?” Oh gosh. Why him? Why was he following me? The footsteps were coming closer. I started inching along the wall. Harry was the last person I wanted to talk to.

                “Brianna!” he said. Great. I pretended I didn’t hear him and ran down the hall. To my surprise he ran after me.

                “What?!” I screamed at him. He looked taken aback. I continued walking down the hall.

                “Um…uh…Mr. Welles…um…”

                “Would you stop?! Just say it!” I stopped walking and turned around to look at him. He was just standing there.

                “Well?” I said. “I can’t wait all day.” I started my quest to the principal’s office again. I didn’t hear any footsteps behind me. I glanced back and Harry was still standing there.

                “Don’t yell at me.” I stopped dead in my tracks. Did he just say something to me? I turned around and took a few steps toward him.

                “Everyone’s always picking on me and I’m sick of it!” His voice echoed through the hallways. For the first time in my life, I felt sorry for him.