Chapter 7

Chapter 7

                “Shouldn’t you be in class?” I said to Harry, maybe a bit too harsh. He opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but ignored him and walked down the hall to Spanish. I wasn’t really concentrating on the lesson, though. I was thinking about Harry. I didn’t exactly like him, but I felt bad about being so rude. Mr. Noor had said my grades were really bad, and I knew I was averaging a D in almost every class. If I want to get into a good college, I need to get those grades to at least a C. I didn’t want Harry to be my tutor, though. It would be awkward now that he hates me. Then again, I have always hated him. Right?

                When I got home that afternoon, my mum was sitting at the dining room table staring at the wall with a cup of tea in her hands.

                “Mum?” I said, walking over to her. I hadn’t bothered taking off my shoes or throwing my backpack into a corner.

                “Brianna,” she said, “we need to talk.” She faced me. She didn’t look too happy.

                “Um…about what?” I pulled out a chair and sat down. I threw my backpack to the ground.

                “Mr. Noor called me this afternoon. Apparently you flipped off Mr. Welles?” She pursed her lips together.

                “Um…yea, I kind of did.” I stared at the table.

                “Why? What possessed you to do such a thing?”

                “I don’t know…he told me to go to the principal’s office for doing nothing.”

                “You must’ve done something.”

                “But I didn’t. All I did was try to take notes since I fired Harry as my tutor. Harry started staring at me so I snapped at him and Mr. Welles asked if I wanted to share something with the class and I said no and he sent me to the principal’s. I did nothing.”

                “You fired Harry?” She seemed appalled. I knew she wouldn’t be happy with that.

                “Yea. So?” I kicked my shoes off.

                “So? He’s your only chance of not failing every single class.”

                “You hired him as my math tutor. Not my every single class tutor.” I picked my shoes up off the floor and threw them at the front door. I was too lazy to walk them over there. My mum glared at me.

                “I am going to call him and tell him to come over tonight. I don’t care what you say. You need his help.” She picked up the phone and looked through the phone book for his house number. I left the dining room and stalked upstairs to my room. I slammed the door shut.

                “Brianna Claire Hudson!” my mum shouted. “Do not slam that door again.” She was pissed. I took out my phone. My ex, Sam, was always texting me even though we broke up in the ninth grade. I didn’t know if we were friends or not, but I always found myself replying to him. We didn’t have a major fallout like I did with Dylan, who I recently dumped. We broke up over some silly argument young couples have. I always tried to remember what it was, but I couldn’t. It was that stupid.

                I texted Sam for a while until my mum called me downstairs. I left my room and standing at the bottom of the stairs was a boy I’ve never seen before.

                “Brianna,” my mum said. “This is your new tutor, Liam.” Liam. That name sounded so familiar. Oh yea…he was one of Harry’s friends. Liam held out his hand for me to shake. I shook it.

                “So, Brianna,” Liam said, situating himself at the dining room table. “I don’t like to start teaching anyone until I get to know the person. I know we are brief acquaintances, but I would like to become fully acquainted with you.”

                “Okay…” I was a bit weirded out.

                “I like to do something where we each write down basic information about ourselves, but if you have a better idea, I’m fine with that.”

                “How about we just say it?” I twirled a pencil between my thumb and index finger.

                “Okay. I will start. My name is Liam James Payne. I am 18 years old. My favorite color is purple, my closest friends are everyone on the chess team, and I am…currently single.” He smiled. What?

                “Um…my name is Brianna Claire Hudson, I’m 18, my favorite color is also purple, I have no friends unless you count Sam, my ex, and…” I was hesitant to say my relationship status. “…I am also single.” I half smiled.

                “Great. Now that we have a background about each other, we can start with the lesson. What are you currently learning in math?”

                “I have no idea.”

                “You don’t know? At all?” I shook my head. Liam sighed. “I guess we’ll start with chapter one…”