Chapter 28

Chapter 28

                “Why would you say such a thing?!” I screamed at Harry. “Do you know how insensitive that is?!” I glanced over at the security guard and she was staring at us.

                “Brianna, I’m just telling the truth,” he said bluntly. We stared at each other for a long time. I stormed out of the hospital and started walking down the street. I could hear Harry running after me, but I didn’t look back. I walked into my hair salon. Harry entered after me.

                “Bri, what are you doing?” he asked, grabbing onto my forearm. I shook him away.

                “I’m doing what I should’ve done a long time ago!” I cried. Tears were pouring down my face and I’m sure I looked terrible.

                “Brianna!” my usual stylist, Amber, called to me. “How are you, sweetie?” She scampered over to me and kissed my cheek.

                “Hi, Amber.” I wiped my tears. “I’m doing alright, thank you.”

                “Honey, why are you crying?” She held onto my shoulders. There was concern in her eyes.

                “I just got some terrible news, that’s all. I’d rather not talk about it.” I looked down at the ground.

                “Very well. So what can I do for you today?” She walked over to her station and I followed. I noticed that Harry had left. Whatever. He was just making things harder for me.

                “I want to go blonde. But not platinum blonde. Like dirty blonde. And cut my bangs, but don’t make them too short. I want them right below my eyebrows.”

                “Wow, okay. That’s such a drastic change, but we’ll see what we can do.”

---

                I walked back to my house that afternoon. I took my keys out of my jacket pocket and unlocked the door. Stepping into my house felt foreign without my mum there. Out of all people, why did my mum have to be involved in that accident? And I guess that doctor really was a doctor, I was just paranoid.

                I checked the house phone to see if there were any messages, and there were. I listened to them, but only one was important.

                “Hi, Brianna. It’s Aunt Michelle. I heard about your mother, and I’m so, so sorry. I haven’t seen her since your father passed. I’m going to be in Holmes Chapel in a few days so we can get ready for her funeral. In the meantime, I don’t want you to go to school. Stay home and rest. After the funeral, you’ll come back to America with me, so please start packing. I’ll tell you more when I arrive. I love you, sweetie.”

                America. I didn’t want to go to America. I’ve never been to America, but I don’t want to leave England. I love it here. I’ll probably get made fun of again, and I didn’t want that to happen. Yet again, maybe I won’t. No one knows me in America, so maybe I’ll be safe.

                Ring, ring. Ring, ring. My cell phone was ringing.

                “Hello?” I said.

                “Bri, it’s Harry. The guys and I were wondering if we could stop by and…hang out?”

                “Yea, that would be fine. I could use the distraction.” I grabbed a tissue and blew my nose.