Chapter 23

Chapter 23

                “You know…” I said. “It doesn’t look like anyone’s home.” All the windows were dark and my mum’s car wasn’t in the driveway.  I bet she was at the school waiting for me and left her phone in the house. Damnit.

                “Drive me back to school,” I demanded Harry.

                “Huh?”

                “Drive me back to school. My mum is there waiting for me.”

                “How do you know?”

                “Drive the damn car!”

                “Ok. Sheesh.” He put the car into reverse and backed out of the driveway. It was still raining, but a lot harder. We drove in silence most of the way.

                “Did she call you and tell you she’s there?” Harry asked.

                “No. But she probably got stuck in traffic and just got there a few minutes ago. She usually leaves her phone at home, so she would have no way of contacting me.”

                “Oh, okay.” After a few more minutes of driving, Harry pulled into the parking lot. It was vacant.

                “What the fuck!” I was so frustrated. I had no idea where my mum was. Did she get called into work late?

                “Take me to the corporate building on Queens Avenue.” Too demanding, Bri. Tone down the bossiness.

                “Why?” Harry whined. “That’s a mile away.”

                “Take me there now!”

                “Okay, okay. I’m supposed to be home in 30 minutes, though.”

                “It should only take ten minutes to drive there.”

                “Not in this rain. Queen Avenue is a very busy street.”

                “Ugh. But I don’t know where my mum is.” I sighed.

                “Call the cops.”

                “What? No! I can find her on my own.”

                “Doesn’t she have a phone in her office?”

                “Oh…yea.” I thought about where else to look. Where else could I look?

                “Wanna come over to my house?”

                “I don’t know…all my stuff is at my house and I don’t have a key…”

                “It’s fine. You can wear my sister’s clothes.”

                “You have a sister?”

                “Yea. Gemma? I’m sure you’ve seen her around school.”

                “If I have I didn’t know it was her.”

                “So do you want to?”

                “Sure. Why not?” Harry started driving in the direction of his house. Gosh, it was going to be so awkward.

                “Stop,” I said.

                “What?”

                “Stop driving.” He hit the brakes. I breathed slowly in and out. I closed my eyes for a second and opened them again. I looked out the window. At the scene of the accident was my mum’s car. I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach that something bad had happened.

                “Brianna…” Harry gently touched my arm, and I didn’t brush him away. I opened the car door and stepped out into the rain.