Chapter 29

Chapter 29

                “Wow, Brianna, you look different,” Liam said when I opened the door to let the five of them inside. “Is this part of your plan?” he whispered off to the side.

                “Yes and no,” I whispered back.

                “We’re sorry about your mum,” Zayn said. “We brought you some stuff.” He took a string bag off his back and set it on the dining room table.

                “Harry mentioned you would be going to America soon so we got you a little present,” Niall said.

                “Yup,” Louis added, “even though you haven’t been so nice to us, you’ve started to come around and we appreciate that.”

                “You don’t talk to us that much in school in fear of being made fun of,” Harry said, “but that’s okay and we’re going to miss you when you leave.” In the spur of the moment, I hugged each of them. I was starting to think that maybe they were my friends now.

---

                “So why did you become a blonde?” Liam asked me. The two of us were sitting in the living room while the others were in the basement watching TV.

                “Remember how I told you I changed because I was made fun of all the time?” Liam nodded. “Well, my mum hated that look, and she loved my natural hair, so I decided to honor her I would go back to my original color.”

                “You know, that’s actually really nice.” He smiled.

                “Yea, I guess it is.”

                “So what’s going on with the whole changing Harry back into a “nerd” thing?”

                “I don’t know…I don’t think he’s ever going to go back. He likes how he looks now.”

                “So you’re just going to give up? You’re not going to fake date him anymore like Zayn suggested?”

                “What?” Liam and I turned around. Standing behind us was Harry.

                “Harry,” Liam said. “Where’d you come from?”

                “Oh, I came up here to get some water and I overheard your conversation.” He crossed his arms. I could see the hurt in his eyes.

                “Harry, I—“ I started, but he interrupted.

                “You really don’t like me, do you? This was all an act. You want people to start teasing me again, I know you do. You don’t care if that bastard of an ex of yours, Sam, kills me. You just hate me, and I don’t know why. Brianna, I’ve had a crush on you for a long time, but it ends now. And lucky for you, you’ll never have to see me and my new image ever again. I hope you’re happy.”

                “Harry!” Liam shouted, appalled. Harry was already at the front door, getting ready to leave.

                “Oh, and for your information, chess is lame and football is way cooler.” Harry exited my house. Liam and I watched him walk home through the window.

                “I feel so fucking bad right now,” I whispered. Liam put an arm around me.

                “It’s okay,” he said, trying to comfort me.

                “No it’s not!” I shouted, standing up. “I actually did end up liking him and you ruined it! This is all your fault, Liam!” We stared at each other for a while until I calmed down.  My world was falling apart, and I hated it.

                “This is probably not the time to ask, but…do you still need a tutor?”

                “Yes, I do. But I’m never going to hire you.” The only tutor I wanted was Harry, but now he hates me.

                “What happened up here?” Niall said, Louis and Zayn trailing behind him.

                “Your brilliant idea for me to fake date Harry failed,” I said. They all looked at each other. “I actually liked him. I ended up liking him. And now he’s gone and will never speak to me again. I’m glad I’m going to the States. I’ll have a chance to be away from you people. Now get out of my house.”