Chapter 13

Chapter 13

                Harry avoided me the whole day. Whenever I passed him in the hallways, I was going to say hi, but he looked away and pretended to be busy. I was going to sit with him at lunch, but there were a bunch of other girls sitting with him, so I sat alone out in the courtyard like always. During study hall I was going to make an excuse to leave and just ditch so I could see Harry in PE, but I decided against that. Everyone would think I’m weird and start making fun of me again. I did not want that to happen.

                I was by my locker gathering my books to take home. I never take home anything that has to do with homework, but maybe if I did something it would take my mind off Harry.

                “Bri?” I got startled and hit my head against the top shelf of my locker. I turned around.

                “What do you want, Sam?” I said, annoyed. He was laughing.

                “Oh, um, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the library with me to help me study.” He had his hands in his pockets and looked so adorable. His dark hair and light eyes against his pale skin looked perfect.

                “You want me to help you study?” That was the most ridiculous question I had ever been asked. I was never helping anyone when it came to studying. I just sat there and watched the other person study while I read some random shit in a magazine.

                “Yea. We can be study buddies.” There was silence. “Get it? I rhymed?”

                “Yes, Sam. I get that you rhymed.” I closed my locker and faced him. To this day I still wondered why we broke up.

                “So what do you say? You in for a little studying?” He poked my arm.

                “No, I’m not.” We walked towards the lobby. “I’m busy tonight.”

                “With what?”

                “Harry’s tutoring me in math at six.” And the secret was out.

                “Harry? Harry Styles? He’s helping you?” He burst out laughing.

                “Is there something wrong with that?” We were now stopped in the middle of the hall. I had no idea why I was getting so defensive over Harry.

                “Well, it’s just he’s so unpopular.” People were staring. I gave one girl the finger and she scurried past.

                “Like you’re not.” I rolled my eyes.

                “Ouch, man. She got ya good,” some boy said as he walked by. Sam’s face turned red.

                “I’m just saying. He’s all goody two shoes and you’re all badass skater girl with purple hair. Why is he tutoring you? I could tutor you.” He was downright pissing me off.

                “Stop talking about Harry that way! He’s way smarter than you ever will be, dumbass!” Lower classmen glanced at us as they walked by. From the corner of my eye I could see those familiar curls.

                “There he is now,” Sam said, looking right at Harry. Harry glared at him, but kept walking. “Why are you being so protective of him? I don’t get it.”

                “He’s my friend. And friends have each other’s backs.” I made it a few feet away from Sam, but he grabbed hold of my arm.

                “Let go!” I screamed in his face.

                “Not until I do this.” He crashed his lips into mine. I pulled away and staring straight at us was Harry. I felt so bad.

                “What the fuck?!” I used all my strength and released my arm from his grasp. I saw Harry leave the building. “You are an asshole, Samuel Knight!” He hated when I used his full name.

                “Do not call me that,” he said through gritted teeth. I smiled innocently and rushed past the crowd. I ran as fast as I could to Harry, who was crossing the street. Being smart, I stopped and looked both ways before crossing. I ran across and grabbed his shoulder.

                “Harry,” I said, out of breath. He ignored me and kept walking. “Harry, please.”

                “I call you beautiful, and then you go and kiss your ex?” He stopped abruptly, causing me to almost trip.

                “I didn’t kiss him, he kissed me. He was being a total dick about you, so I defended you. I guess he wanted to make you jealous, so he kissed me. I didn’t plan on that happening. I feel so bad.”

                “I don’t know if I believe you.”

                “Why wouldn’t you believe me?”

                “I don’t know. It’s hard to trust someone who—“

                I interrupted him. “He’s the only friend I have…had. All my old friends don’t bother speaking to me anymore.”

                “—pretends to know nothing.” Okay, what? I was seriously confused.

                “Pretends to know nothing? What are you talking about?”

                “I think you’re smarter than you actually let on. You don’t need me to tutor you.” He started walking away from me.

                “Hey! Don’t walk away from me! I need a tutor! Badly!” It was no use. He was on his way home. I should’ve caught up with him, but I didn’t. If I did, I wouldn’t know what to say. Instead I took the bus home. And I really couldn’t wait to get home.