Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                Instead of racing down the stairs, Harry and I stood in the stairwell. There wasn’t any light, and if there was we would have just exited the hospital that way.

                “Who’s there?” the voice yelled again. I was guessing it was a security guard. “If you don’t reveal yourselves I’m going to have to call the police.” We could hear him roaming the area, and whenever he came close to the stairs, Harry and I held our breath.

                “This is insane,” Harry whispered. “I told you we should’ve stayed home.”

                “Shh,” I said, not wanted to get caught. The last thing I wanted was to go to jail, and I did not need that at all considering I was most likely not graduating high school.

                “I know you’re in the stairwell!” shouted the security guard. I looked at Harry. He immediately started running down the stairs and I followed even though neither of us could see.

                “There has to be a door somewhere,” Harry whispered. “Do you see a door?”

                “No, in fact I can’t see anything!” I whisper-shouted. I leaned against the wall. What were we going to do? I reached into my back pocket and took out my phone. It was exactly two in the morning.

                “Oh my God, Bri, are you stupid or something?!” I couldn’t see Harry’s face, but I bet he was looking at me like I was an idiot, based on the tone of his voice. “Turn on the damn flashlight on your phone!”

                “Shut the hell up,” I said, switching on the flashlight. I was right—Harry was staring at me like I was a dumbass. “That guard or whatever he is, he’s going to catch us if we’re too loud.”

                “Okay, whatever. Let’s just get out of here.” I shined my flashlight throughout the space, and there was a door straight across from us. I opened it and stepped out into what looked like the parking lot. It was cold and damp. We found Harry’s car and went back to his house.

                “I’m sorry about not finding your mum,” Harry said on the ride home. “We’ll come back later, during visiting hours.” He patted my knee with his hand.

                “Yea…” I said. “It was probably a glitch in the system.” Harry pulled into his driveway. I stepped out of the car and made my way to the front door. I waited for him to unlock it.

                “Try to get some sleep,” Harry said. “Goodnight.” He went down into the basement and I lied down on the couch. Every ten minutes I kept checking my phone to see if anyone had called, but no one tried to contact me at all.

---

                In the morning, Harry’s mum served us breakfast. Right after we ate we left for the hospital. I was exhausted, plus school was tomorrow. Not that I cared, but not being able to graduate would be the biggest embarrassment ever, so I needed to get my grades up.

                “And here we are again,” sighed Harry. “Feels like we were just here eight hours ago.”

                “Haha, very funny,” I said, stepping out of Harry’s car for what seemed like the hundredth time. We walked to the entrance and the same security guard was sitting at the desk, but this time she was awake.

                “Good morning!” she greeted us. “How can I assist you today?”

                “Hi,” I said, “we’re here to see Diane Hudson.” The security guard typed away at her computer.

                “Um…are you immediate family?” she asked. The way she said that made me skeptical.

                “Well, I am. I’m her daughter. And this is my friend—boyfriend---Harry.” I still had to go along with the fake dating thing. I knew in the end it would hurt him, but I promised Liam, Louis, Niall, and Zayn I would get him to change back no matter what. Zayn suggested asking him out, so I did, but I was seriously confused about how I felt about him. Did I really like him or not? Was this all an act or not? Would Harry listen to me, his “girlfriend,” or not?

                “Is everything alright?” Harry jumped in.

                “Well…it says here Diane Hudson checked out last night…” The guard’s face paled.

                “Okay, so if it says my mum checked out, then where is she? I received a phone call last night from some “doctor” saying she was in terrible condition, but the person did not sound like a doctor whatsoever. She should still be here.”

                “Brianna,” whispered Harry. “Can I speak with you for a second?” The security guard excused us. Harry and I sat down in the waiting area.

                “Brianna, don’t freak out, but I think when the lady over there said your mum checked out, I think she meant checked out as in your mum…is no longer here,” he explained.

                “Well, duh. I know what “checking out” means,” I said. “I’m not stupid.”

                “Bri, your mum is dead.”