Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                I let Harry in. I really didn’t want him touching my furniture, but I had no choice. I told him to sit at the dining room table.

                “Um…” I said. “Hang on one second.” I dashed up the stairs to my mum’s room. I barged in without knocking.

                “Mum!” I said angrily. “You didn’t tell me my tutor was going to be Harry Styles!” I frowned and crossed my arms.

                “What’s wrong with Harry?” she looked up from the book she was reading. She didn’t look too happy with my attitude.

                “He’s a nerd.” I said that word with disgust. Everyone at school would start making fun of me again if they knew Harry was my tutor.

                “That’s not very nice, Brianna,” my mum said, turning the page in her book. “Now go back downstairs. You’re making him wait.” She shooed me out of her room. I walked back downstairs to the dining room. I pulled out a chair across from Harry and sat down.

                “So,” Harry said, “I guess I should introduce myself…” His glasses were sliding off his nose. He pushed them up.

                “I know who you are,” I said. I was already bored. He wasn’t someone I could easily flirt with. I didn’t even want to flirt with him.

                “How?” He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the huge math textbook in front of him.

                “We sit next to each other in math class.” I started looking at my nails, not wanting to make eye contact with him. I didn’t want him to think I liked him; that would be gross.

                “I don’t recognize you.” He studied my face. “Wait…Brianna?”

                “Uh, yea,” I said. There was sass in my tone. Harry fixed his glasses again. He fiddled with the pencil in front of him.

                “Wow. I didn’t even recognize you.” He opened the textbook to chapter one. He scribbled something down on a sheet of notebook paper. “Try doing this.” He slid the paper and pencil across the table to me. I looked at it. There was no way I knew how to do that.

                “Uh…why are there letters and numbers?” I just said whatever came to mind, not caring about what other people thought.

                “Really?” Harry sighed and once again, fixed his glasses. “You have to solve for x. This is simple algebra. This is way behind what we’re learning right now.” There was annoyance in his voice. He probably thought I was dumb, which I guess I kind of am.

                “How do I solve for x?” I stared at the paper. I had remembered going over this last year. I was trying so hard to remember, but I just couldn’t. Harry explained to me how to solve it, and even did a few examples. It was 8pm when I finally got one right.

                “Do you understand now?” He took the pencil and paper away from me. He started packing up his backpack. When he was bent over, I noticed his neck was red. Gross.

                “Eh,” I said, moseying over to the door. I opened it. It was dark outside. I saw Harry pull a flashlight out of his pocket. I gave him a weird look, but he didn’t see. He exited my house without saying bye. Whatever. I closed the door. The tutor session wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but Harry was still a nerd.