Chapter 24

Chapter 24

                “Brianna,” Harry said, “I bet it’s someone else. Not your mum.”

                “No,” I said. “It’s her car.” I looked at the smashed up car sitting on the side of the road. It was raining pretty hard, and I was freezing.

                “Do you know what hospital she would be at?”

                “There’s only one around here.” I moved the hair out of my face. I stood in one spot, not moving.

                “Brianna,” he said again, “you’re going to get sick. Just come back to my place, please.”

                “I—I can’t do that. I need to know if she’s okay.”

                “Bri…”

                “First my dad…now her. I’ll be an orphan if she dies. I’ll be sent to live with my godmother in America.”

                “America?”

                “Yes.” A tear slipped down my cheek. She had to be okay. I don’t know what I would do if she wasn’t.

                “Look. Get back in the car, please. You’re going to get sick.” I stared at the crushed piece of metal for a few more seconds. I finally opened the door and got inside.

                “You really don’t mind if I spend the night at your house?”

                “Not at all. Anything for a friend.” He started the engine. It’s nice to know he considered me his friend after the bitch I’ve been to him.

                We drove in silence until we reached is house, which was pretty small compared to mine. It looked like it was only one story, but it looked cute from the outside. He parked in the driveway, cut the engine, and unlocked the door. I stepped out of the car and ran to the front porch where I was covered. Harry took the keys out of his pocket and opened the front door.

                “I’m home!” Harry shouted.

                “Harry!” A woman, who I’m assuming was his mum, said, running into the room. “You were supposed to be—oh, hello.” She smiled at me. “I’m Anne.” She held out her hand and I shook it.

                “Brianna,” I said, returning her smile.

                “Are you a friend of Harry’s?”

                “Um, yes.”

                “Is it okay if she spends the night?” Harry asked.

                “Oh.” Anne looked surprised. She looked at Harry, then me, and back to Harry. “I guess it would be okay…You’re not going to do anything, are you?”

                “Mum!” Harry’s face turned red. “She’s spending the night because she’s locked out of her house!”

                “Oh, sorry. I never know with you anymore…you’ve changed so much in the past month.” She walked slowly out of the room.

                “Even she’s noticed…” I said. I took my wet jacket off and hung it on the coatrack by the door.

                “Do we seriously have to talk about this again? I’m still the same person…just a different look.” He threw his keys on a small side table. Dangit. I just had to ruin it.

                “You didn’t like me when I was how I was before,” he continued. “You’ve been all over me since I started looking like this.”

                “’Cause you’re hot.”

                “Exactly.” He went down some stairs and I was left standing in his living room. Ugh. I always say the wrong things.

                “Who are you?” I jumped. I was not expecting anyone to speak to me.

                “Oh, I’m Brianna…Harry’s friend.” I felt my cheeks turn red in embarrassment.

                “Oh, well, I’m Gemma.” Now that I think about it, I do know who she is. I sometimes see her in the halls, even though she’s older than us. Apparently she helps out with the younger classes as a course she’s taking at the local University.

                “Nice to meet you.” I smiled, but she didn’t return it.

                “Harry’s friend?” She raised an eyebrow. “You sure you’re not his girlfriend? You know, girls seem to love him now.”

                “No, no, just friends. Something happened and I needed a place to stay for the night.”

                “Oh, well, in that case…enjoy your stay!” She smiled. She looked exactly like Harry, but a girl of course.

                “Harry!” She yelled down the stairs. “Your guest is waiting!” She turned to me. “You can take a seat if you want.”

                “Thanks.” I sat down on the couch and took out my phone. I had no calls. I was freaking out.  

                “Brianna?” Harry said, coming back into the room. I looked up from my phone. “I have some clothes for you.” He handed me a t-shirt and pair of sweatpants.

                “Thank you.” I carried them over to the bathroom. I closed the door, and that’s when my phone rang. It was from my mum’s number.

                “Mum!” I said. “Are you alright?”

                “This isn’t your mum,” the person on the other end said. “This is the doctor. But don’t worry. She should be fine.”

                “Thank God.” I let out a huge sigh I didn’t know I was holding.

                “We’ll keep you updated on how she’s doing. She has a few broken bones and was bleeding a lot, but we bandaged her up.”

                “Oh. You’re sure she’ll be fine?” I was getting skeptical now.

                “If she’s not, we’ll let you know. Goodbye.” Whoever had called hung up. Now I was even more worried. What kind of doctor says someone is okay if they were bleeding a lot and have broken bones?