Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                “Why can’t I tell Harry?” I said. Liam said that after we kissed, too. He raised his eyebrows.

                “I mean, not that I would ever talk to him, I’m just curious,” I quickly added. Liam sighed.

                “Well,” he said, “don’t tell anyone I told you this, but Harry sort of…has a crush on you.” My eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

                “On me? He has a crush on me?” Liam looked surprised I said that, so I added, “Not that I would care, psh.” I leaned back in my chair. I was so confused. Liam and Harry apparently both liked me. And they were friends. And they had both tutored me. I had no idea what to do.

                “Yea, he does. He told me that day after you kicked him out of your house he was devastated. He’s had a crush on you for a while.”

                “But why me? He knows it would never happen.” There was silence; a really awkward silence. I could feel the awkwardness floating around in the air.

                “Um,” I said, “I think I’m going to go now.” I exited his room without looking back.

                I was standing in front of my locker when Harry walked by. I bit my lip. T-shirts and skinny jeans looked really good on him. Without thinking, I called his name.

                “Yea?” he said, ignoring a group of fake blondes who were trying to flirt with him.

                “Um…” I said, quickly regretting calling him over. “I’m sorry.” Where did that come from?

                “Sorry? For what?” He seemed confused.

                “Quit acting,” I snapped. “You know what I’m sorry for.” Why was it so hard to be nice to this boy? It’s not like he’s ever done anything mean to me.

                “No…I really don’t.” I sighed. Apologies were my worst enemy.

                “I am sorry for yelling at you and kicking you out of my house.” Well done, Bri, my subconscious said. Not too shabby.

                “Oh, well I accept your apology.” He may look cool, but his personality was the same.

                “And I was wondering…” I sighed. “…if you could tutor me again.” I avoided eye contact with him. Why was I asking him to be my tutor again?

                “I’ll have to think on that.” Without glasses, his eyes looked so much brighter. He didn’t look as serious as he usually was. “I thought Liam was helping you now.”

                “He is…but…I prefer you.” I realized how wrong that sounded. His eyes widened.

                “You explain things better,” I quickly added. Why was I nervous? I had never been nervous around a guy before.

                “This has nothing to do with my new look?” Harry asked.

                “No, not at all.” I tried to act surprised that he would ask such a thing. “Why’d you change your look anyway?” Like I said, I could not filter my thoughts. Whatever I was thinking just came out whether I liked it or not.

                “I was sick of being made fun of. If you got picked on you would do anything to change that, right?”

                “Um…” It was true. I would do anything. In elementary school and middle school I got teased a lot. The kids would make fun of my weight, which led to me having an eating disorder. They would make fun of how my hair looked, which was frizzy and dirty blonde, so I dyed it black in 8th grade and bought a flat iron. They made fun of my acne, so I started covering it up with concealer, which led to the dark eye makeup. Everyone hated my glasses, so I got contacts. Even after all those changes, I’ve never had a real friend. None of the girls wanted to hang out with me. Sure, I had a few boyfriends here and there, but they eventually broke my heart. Maybe my past was why I made fun of Harry and all the other “nerds” because I used to be classified as a nerd. I knew I should tell Harry that and try to explain myself, but chances are I would start crying. “I don’t know.” The bell rang.

                “See ya at 6,” Harry said, and dashed down the hall.