Chapter 12

Chapter 12

                I saw Liam in English class. He was talking to one of his friends, Louis, I think. I took a deep breath and walked over to him.

                “Hey, Brianna,” Liam said when he saw me. Louis turned around. He was actually cuter than I remembered him to be.

                “Hey,” I said. I placed my backpack on the table behind me.

                “So… what’s up?”

                “Oh, um, I’m not going to be able to have you tutor me tonight. Um…I’m busy.” I avoided eye contact. That was a lie, but I didn’t want him or Harry to argue over anything, especially me.

                “That’s fine. I actually had to cancel tonight anyway. There’s a chess team meeting. Apparently one of our best members quit.”

                “Really?” Harry quit? Wow. “Wh-who?”

                “Harry.” He shook his head. “He’s been acting so different. He’s not the same. Now he has all these girls chasing him and he’s been working out. I don’t know him anymore.” Ouch. Even though I wasn’t close to Harry, I knew how bad that hurt. My best friend in ninth grade, Violet, ended up befriending the snobbiest people ever. She started shunning me just when I thought I could trust her to be by my side no matter what.

                “Oh, yea. I noticed.”

                “It’s unbelievable,” Louis chimed in. I had never heard him speak, and I have to say I love his voice. Some of these nerds could be real hunks if they cleaned up a bit…like Harry. No, Bri, no, my subconscious said. You need to like Harry for him, not his looks. “He just totally ditched us. Now all those jocks or whatever the hell they call themselves are asking him to join the football team. I want to be on the football team and Harry knows that.” He crossed his arms. “It’s my dream to be a professional football player.”

                “Then why are you wasting your time playing chess?” I asked.

                “I don’t know…those guys don’t want a skinny guy running around on the field trying to kick a ball into a net. They want buff guys.”

                “You could get buff if you worked out a bit, you know.” The teacher walked into the room. I took a seat. I actually enjoyed talking to Liam and Louis. Maybe this was the beginning of a new friendship.

                “I got Harry to be my tutor again,” I told my mum. We were sitting in the basement watching TV.

                “That’s nice. Will he be coming here? Because starting tomorrow I’m at work until 9. You know I don’t like boys in the house when I’m not here, considering last time…”

                “Do not even mention last time,” I sighed. Dylan, my last boyfriend, was a bad boy. He had a motorcycle and wore leather jackets and leather boots. He wasn’t afraid to be a rebel. Last year, when my mum had gone out, I invited Dylan over. Let’s just say things got a bit steamy and my mum saw my boyfriend in his boxers.

                “Alright, but I really disapproved of Dylan. My favorite boyfriend of yours so far is Sam. He was such a sweetie.”

                “Mum…”

                “I know, I know. You still talk to him, don’t you?”

                “Yes.” I really hated discussing this with her. The doorbell rang and I ran upstairs. Thank God for that.

                “Hello,” Harry said. He was wearing what he wore to school. I swear those skinny jeans will be the death of me.

                “Hi,” I said, letting him in. He took off his shoes and walked over to the dining room. As usual he had a backpack full of school stuff. He took the textbook out and placed in on the table along with a notebook and pencils.

                “So we’re going to start with what we’re learning right now,” he said. He opened the book up to a page filled with graphs.

                “What the freak is that?” I asked. I really needed to practice filtering my thoughts.

                “Systems.”

                “Systems?”

                “Yes, systems.”

                “I have no idea what those are.” Harry sighed. He started explaining what they were, but I kept zoning out. He looked so perfect. His eyes were a beautiful light green; I could stare into them all day. And his lips…I just want to kiss them.

                “Brianna?” I was taken back to reality. “Are you listening?”

                “Oh, yes,” I lied. I think he could tell I was lying because he gave me that look.

                “Okay, then do this first one.” He pointed to something in the book and gave me a piece of paper. I picked up the pencil but had no idea what I was doing.

                “I lied. I have no idea what I’m doing.” He picked up the pencil and started showing me how to do it. He had me try one, and surprisingly I got it on the first try.

                “Since when does it only take you one try to get an equation right?” Harry asked.

                “Since when do you bother even trying to help me? I’m useless.”

                “You’re not useless.” He nervously chuckled. He started packing up his things. “You’re—never mind.”

                “I’m what?” I was curious to hear what he had to say.

                “It’s just…nothing. I should really get going. My mum will kill me if I’m late.” He opened the front door and didn’t even have his shoes on.

                “Woah there, buddy,” I said, grabbing hold of his backpack. I closed the door and stood in front of it. “I’m not going to let you leave until you tell me what you were going to say.”

                “Fine. I was going to say you’re beautiful, okay?”