Chapter 22

Chapter 22

                “You’re sure you’re okay?” Harry asked me again just to reassure.

                “Yea.” I nodded. I kept seeing cars pull into the lot, but none of them were my mum’s. Where was she?

                “You look worried. I swear if he goes near you again I will hurt him.”

                “No, no, it’s not that. Um…my mum was supposed to be here ten minutes ago.”  I looked around to make sure I didn’t miss her.

                “Do you want a ride home?”

                “You drive?”

                “Why wouldn’t I drive?”

                “You don’t seem like the type?”

                “Why? Because I was a former nerd?”

                “Harry, you are still a nerd. Why are you hiding behind all this anyway?” I waved my arms towards him to show I was talking about his appearance.

                “People like me more. I’m not teased anymore.”

                “But you shouldn’t have to change because people tell you to.” Headlights shined in front of me. Again, not my mum’s car.

                “What if I wanted to?”

                “Okay, I’m not here to have this deep conversation with you, so let me just ask you this: will you go out with me?” Okay, what? Did I seriously ask him out? A girl asking a guy out…that takes a lot of guts…guts I didn’t know I had.

                “Huh?” Great. I just made a complete fool of myself. I was glad it was dark so he wouldn’t see my face turning bright red.

                “Nothing.”

                “No, no. Did I hear you correctly? Isn’t the guy supposed to ask the girl?” He scratched the back of his neck. It started to seem kind of cute.

                “Well yea, but I just thought you would never ask me so I thought: why not?” I shrugged.

                “I’d love to go out with you.”

                “Really?”

                “Unless you don’t want to anymore…”

                “No, no, I want to.” I smiled.

                “So...you want a ride home?” He took his keys out of his pocket. I didn’t see my mum anywhere, so I accepted his offer.

                The ride to my house was really awkward. I looked out the window while Harry focused on driving. It started to rain, so everything was blurred. The street lamps were all turned on since it got really dark; it looked like something out of a movie.

                “Looks like we’re taking the long way back to your house,” Harry suddenly said. He turned left.

                “Why?” I turned my head to face him.

                “There was detour sign. Looks like there was an accident.”

                “Oh.” We drove in more silence. I bet my mum was at the school right now looking for me. But wouldn’t she call asking where I was? I decided not to worry about it.

                “This is some pretty bad weather.” He was trying to make small talk. I guess it’s better than no talk.

                “Yea,” I said. “It hasn’t rained like this in a long time.”

                “I like the rain, though.”

                “I do, too, but when I’m in a car or something. I hate it when I get all wet.”

                “I swear all girls are like that.” He pulled into my driveway. I had no umbrella or anything, and my front door has a long walkway.

                “Wanna wait until it dies down a bit?” Harry asked.

                “I don’t know,” I shrugged. “I would hate to keep you waiting.” How was it that I went from hating Harry to becoming sort-of-friends with him?

                “You wouldn’t be keeping me waiting. My parents aren’t expecting me home for another hour. The match ended earlier than I thought.” We both exchanged smiles. Being in a car alone with Harry Styles…who knew?