Chapter 20

Chapter 20

                After thinking about what Liam said, I padded over to the bathroom and started washing off all my makeup. I grabbed the towel from the side of the sink and dried my face. I startled myself when I looked in the mirror. When was the last time I was totally makeup free? Even when Harry came over for the first time I was still wearing some. My eyes looked so different without all the black…they actually looked blue. And my skin…it wasn’t all one tone…

                My eyes drifted to my hair. My hair wasn’t naturally straight; it was wavy. I turned the sink back on and flipped my head over. I made my hair sopping wet so all the hairspray would come out easily. The glue from my extensions was coming loose so I yanked them out. I threw them in the trash. My hair was so much shorter now. I grabbed a comb and started violently working on my hair. Now I had short, black, and wavy hair. I didn’t look like myself at all…and I liked it.

                It was 5:00. I had 45 minutes before I had to leave to get to the school. I changed into a Beatles t-shirt and unripped jeans. I looked in the full length mirror in my room. I looked nothing like Brianna Claire Hudson. I looked like some random teenager.

                “Mum!” I shouted, running down the stairs. “I’m going to the football match at school at 6!” I went to the kitchen and started scavenging for food.

                “Okay, honey.” My mum walked into the kitchen and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me. “Brianna…”

                “Yea?” I took a frozen pizza out of the freezer and popped it in the oven.

                “You look…nice.”

                “You’re surprised?” I threw the plastic and cardboard into the trash.

                “Well the last time I saw you looking somewhat decent was years ago. If only you never dyed your hair…”

                “Mum, quit reminiscing. I’m trying out a new look.”

                “Hm…and you’re cooking for yourself, too. What’s the deal? Are you into some clean-cut boy now?”

                “No! I’m just hungry…” I crossed my arms and looked at the oven. Cook faster, I said over and over in my head. After my mum talking to me, I suddenly felt self-conscious. People aren’t going to know who I am. They’re going to think I don’t go there. My school ID doesn’t even look like me right now. How am I going to get into the match?

                Ding!

                Thank God for the timer. I slid on the oven mitt and took the pizza out. I cut it into eight slices and put two on a plate for me and two on a plate for my mum. I carried them over to the dining room and set them down on the table.

                “Food!” I yelled.

                “I’m right here,” my mum said, taking a seat.

                “Sorry, didn’t see you.” I sat down and took a bite of pizza.

                At the match, people kept staring at me. I couldn’t find the guys, so I was wandering around aimlessly.

                “Brianna?” someone from behind me said. I turned around and Harry was standing there…in his football uniform.

                “Oh…hey,” I said, trying not to check him out. He looked so hot in those shorts. Damn. Was I having sexual frustrations over Harry Styles?

                “You look…different.” Now he was checking me out. Oh my gosh. I feel faint.

                “Yea…I changed up the look a bit. I realized…I wasn’t me.” I deliberately said that. I was trying to hint to him that what he was doing, what he looked like, wasn’t him.

                “You weren’t you?” He looked at me quizzically.

                “Yup. I’m not badass. I’m not scene. I’m the shy, nerdy girl. And I just want to say I’m sorry for making fun of you and being one of the main reasons you changed.” I took a deep breath. “I just…I only made fun of you because I used to be the nerd and when I changed my look…my whole personality changed from sweet to sour, and I didn’t want to repeat my elementary and middle school years. I’m sorry.”

                “Um…well…I like the change. I feel more confident. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go.” He ran off to the field. Great. Just great. I threw out my extensions just for him to say he likes the change.